Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wide body kit,,, huh,, what about the side window fit?

Default Wide body kit,,, huh,, what about the side window fit?

Howdy All;
    I installed the Williams wide body kit on my model-4, but noticed my plan to install the side windows with screws has changed.
    Originally, I was going to add some nutplates to the window frame tubes to bolt the window in, but now it looks like I can't do that
    because the wide body kit sticks out and the fabric will be away from the window frame tubes a lot more.
    Did anyone figure out a way to solve this, or are you just not installing the side windows?
    Let me know, thanks
    Roger

Default Re: Wide body kit,,, huh,, what about the side window fit?

The Aluminum framing - Delta Shaped - attached to the fabric after shrinking with Polytack. Has channels capturing the lower and forward edges of theLexan sheets with the securing screws on the top.

Side Window 1.jpgSide Window 2.jpgSide Window 3.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks !!!
    Roger

What does the wide body kit do?
    Where do u get it?

The wide body kit makes the fuselage wider so fat guys like me have more room. I've widened the last three fuselages I've done. I think the William's kit adds 5", I did 3" on two of them, and 4" on the Kitfox 4 I'm almost done with now. My method did not involve cutting or changing any of the original tubing of the fuselage. On the Avid MK IV and Kitfox 4 I used 1/2" 4130 tube to widen the fuselage, and on the Kitfox 3 I did I used wood, as the fuselage was covered already, and I was trying to save the fabric. Here are a couple of pics showing the Kitfox 4 and Kitfox 3 to give you some ideas. I don't think I would recover another plane without doing this mod. The door frames are bent/racked to fit the new door opening shape. As far as the windows overhanging the fabric, I used my metal brake to put a bend on the bottom and back of the lexan, so it turned back into the fabric. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images