Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wire size on stator

Default Wire size on stator

I have my engine crated up for repair. I forgot to check the wire size on the stator wires, specifically the red (power) and yelow (charging) wires. The red are the one's that go to the ignition modules and the yellow are the ones for the charging system. This is on an older 912 and it was suggested that these are know to go bad from vibration over time. I can get the stator removed and supposedly solder on new wires. I am on my way into the avionics shop this morning to see if I can buy some 'aviation' grade wire. Any one know the size of these wires? I am thinking the red is possibly 18 guage and the yellow is 16 guage. I am getting these figures by converting the numbers that are in the maintaince manual. Yet another conversion table suggests the red is roughly 20 guage and the yellow is roughly 14 guage. Which s this correct?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by WWhunter; 03-13-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: additional info

Default Re: Wire size on stator

I think the yellow are closer to 14. Not sure about red but I can find out shortly
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Esser! In town now.

I think the yellow is 12 AWG, but could be wrong. That's what I used when extending those wires & it seemed to match the gauge of the wires coming from the dynamo. Bob Nuckolls shows 12 AWG for that circuit on his schematic also, FWIW.

18 is fine for the ignition.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime