Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Dactel's Build

Default Re: Dactel's Build

Agreed on the balsa over the foam. Easy fix now. I used balsa as my flaperon tips as well. Aircraft spruce has balsa blocks. 2"x 2"x 36"

Thanks for the nugget of info on the Moisture Minder EDV. Just what I need!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    OK, across town but not too far.
    Jim, great to know a like minded person in the area! I am based at Willamette Aviation at Aurora State Airport. Normally-COVID19 wise, we host “Second Saturday” seminars there. I would love to meet you one of these days. There or elsewhere.
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    That foam will melt under the heat used to get Oratex installed unless your extremely careful. Of course there is only one way to know where the envelope is before it melts. That is to melt it once. That is why we preferred Balsa Wood.
    Thanks for a great pointer, Eddie. I think you’ve just convinced me to switched to balsa wood anyway!
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Agreed on the balsa over the foam. Easy fix now. I used balsa as my flaperon tips as well. Aircraft spruce has balsa blocks. 2"x 2"x 36"

Thanks for the nugget of info on the Moisture Minder EDV. Just what I need!
    I’m on it!

I got my Moisture Minder EDV from Amazon. I made that bracket in the photo out of angled aluminum stock. Super easy. You should also order some 90 degree elbowed push to connect tube connector with male ¼ inch NPT fitting and some ¼ inch pneumatic tube.
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

I second balsa. It shapes really good and will hold up much better. Order some superfill. Shape the balsa ruff then fill in holes and gaps with superfill.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So it looks like I will need to undo the bond that holds the foam pieces. What would be the most efficient way? Solvent? Brute force?
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

I used expanding foam, Hysol, then Superfil, worked fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dactel View Post
    So it looks like I will need to undo the bond that holds the foam pieces. What would be the most efficient way? Solvent? Brute force?

Yes! Just carve it off and clean it up with acetone. Many ways to do the tips. Here is the way I did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

Thanks, all! I did some running around today and procured some balsa blocks at a hobby shop.

Brett, that’s a beautiful job you did on your tips!!

I ripped off all the foam pieces and sanded away as much Hysol as possible with a Dremel tool. I am getting a small band saw in few days so I am going to work on the balsa blocks with it then. I think band saw would be a handy tool to have through out my build.

31A03386-B2A9-4038-AF47-6DF78D89222C.jpeg39860385-CA32-4D84-823B-22388B165C57.jpeg396F1BDB-C67C-4791-A0B3-B88382D9F50B.jpeg
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Thanks! Those tips require a lot of finishing. The balsa sands down fast so easy going as you get close to your profile.
    Any flaws will be noticed through the covering.

I did not have a band saw and finally caved when it was time for the tips.
    So much nicer to have one and I use it all the time for other projects.

Brett Butler