Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dactel's Build

Default Re: Dactel's Build - Wing rotisserie complete

Here's my wing rotisserie setup. Simple but it works. Now I can move wings around by myself.

I739jem9Qt69ANl6Qwf8qA.jpg
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

Default Re: Dactel's Build

Great to see you back in the mix Terry. Shed and the wing jigs look nice!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Thanks you, Brett. It's been rather a frustrating year just get to the point where I can actually start building the plane but I'm happy that I am finally able to do that.
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Default Re: Dactel's Build - Horizontal tail assembly

Yesterday, I reamed all elevator hinge tabs and the elevator control horn. It was rather difficult to turn the reamer so close to the tube but I managed by first finger feeding it and finishing it with a vise grip. I applied them some Boeshield T9 prevent corrosion.

B451A6BF-6616-49B4-B440-61FB2ECED25F.jpg

Now, to get ready for the dreaded bushing reaming, I grinded the non-cutting end of the reamer to hex shape using my angle grinder so that it would fit a ¼ inch ratchet socket.

8531F516-161A-45DB-892D-A29706E859E2.jpeg 7B4A8CA2-58E0-45CB-811F-C67661C798E3.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Default Re: Dactel's Build - Horizotal Tail Assembly

I reamed the all 7 Horizontal Tail Hinge Bushings and the 2 Horizontal Tail Bushings. It was well worth making the hex shaped end on the reamer as it took only an hour or a little less to finish these tasks with a ¼ inch ratchet socket and a flexible shaft adapter.

675CA8A0-D074-4523-96D2-B07B6F5AFD6B.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Fitted two center most horizontal tail ribs. It took a while to remove some material from them with a Dremel tool to fit around the weldments.

37F60501-7D72-4B74-8037-A10F265D1366.jpeg72C42359-9C6C-4849-BAE7-CA5E953A27C4.jpg26603CFD-87D5-49C7-8192-122F6CC4DDF0.jpegC2CFCE05-5A5C-4C2D-AE4B-EF47975373A9.jpeg
    Last edited by dactel; 05-18-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Looking good! I used a die grinder to take off the large material and get them close then a Dremel tool to final fit them. Helped speed up the process. Glad to see you put the two inner most ribs on the inside of the metal support. Doing that it covers better IMO.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Glad to see you put the two inner most ribs on the inside of the metal support. Doing that it covers better IMO.
    Good to know! That’s how it showed in the manual illustration as well.

After grinding off the excess weldment, did you apply some primer on it before applying touch up paint? If so what did you use?
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR

Not sure if Shadow was referring to taking off metal from a weldment or taking the wood down to fit. I would think wood. I did not grind any welds on those. If you do, the factory provided a small touch up paint container (small being about 1.5" tall). It is touch up for the powdercoat I believe

Another thing to do at this stage is put both the elevator and horizontal stab back to back, as if the bearings and bolts were installed. Make sure when you secure ribs on one that they will line up without interference on the other. Some of mine did not go exactly as pictured or dimensioned in the manual because to do so would have made them out of alignment between the two. Hopefully all that made sense.

Looks good!!

I’ve been thinking about grinding off some metal as well but I’m going to wait until the wooden ribs are fitted first to see if it is even necessary.

Thanks for mentioning about putting the horizontal tail and elevator back to back to make sure the ribs can be and are lined up. It had never even occurred to me to do that.
    Terry

SS7
    Portland, OR