Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Noble Build

Default Re: Noble Build

I think the theory here is that you want the holes centered and not on the edges of the capstrips or the internal doubler. It would seem that drilling after fabric would be drilling blind - don't ask how I know. I found my predrilled holes with a scriber and punched them through the fabric so they were visible for redrilling prior to riveting. Any scratches on the finish would be covered by the bracket.
    Lowell

When my friend make his hole's in is small piece of fabric on titan tornado,he make the hole with solding iron ...it's more easy to see the hole when your fabric his VIRGIN...(no primer or paint) with a good light on back of your hole it easy to see your hole on the oder side....

Jf

Installed the floorboards and started on the console today. Had a bit of trouble drilling the Flap handle bearing pin hole with a 1/16th bit. Ended up using a cobalt bit in a drill press after ruining a bering and 3 bits.

I set the seat in the fuselage with the console installed. See my album for the picture. Looks like there is lots of trimming to do on the seat around the console???

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=308

I'm pretty happy at how quick the fuselage is going together.

Scott

Looking good. Yeah you have to trim where the console goes and where the control columns come back. Make a line, use a dremel with a sanding drum. And when you get close to the line finish with a file. I tried to go to the line with the dremel and it could look a lot better. It gets away on you a bit.

Thanks Esser. I'll have to leave that for tomorrow.

Scott

A tip on drilling those 1/16" holes thru the pins from a machinist friend of mine:
    1. Use a vee block to hold the pin in the drill press.
    2. File a very small flat spot on the pin where you want to start the hole.
    3. Use a very small "center drill" to start the hole. The center drill is short and thick with a small short drilling tip so it is very stiff and won't bend or break. Just peck at the surface to get it started without wandering, not too much pressure.
    4. Finish up with a good sharp 1/16" bit.
    Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim. I have one more bearing to drill once the part arrives.

Scott

Scott,
    Looks like it coming together great. Keep the updates coming.
    Kebo

For trimming fiberglass, the composite builders use diamond disks in a dremel. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can find them for $3-4. Don't recall the actual number of disks - maybe 4 with mandrel. Draw a line 1/16" or so oversized and cut to that. The sanding drum works well for final finishing.
    Lowell.
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks for the Harbor freight tip lowell. I'll look for the disks next time I'm there. I finished up the seat today with my dremel. Now I'm working on the rudder peddles.

Kebo did your kit arrive yet?

Scott