Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Noble Build

Default Re: Noble Build

Checked out the pictures. I am curious about the wings rigged on the airframe while adding the leading edge. Is that the recommended method?

I put aluminum leading edges on my wings and pretty much supported the wings as you have done. My thinking was if the wing is supported for the installation process as it would be sitting on the ground, at least if the leading edge oil cans, it would not be apparent on the ground. This stems from a friend who had a Rans S-7 that would oil can pretty seriosly on the ground. Folks would tease him about it and he would go over and shake the wing tip and it would pop back into shape. I didn't want to have that kind of attention. I did find one problem with my thinking, though. With full tanks and 80 lbs of fuel between ribs one and three, I found on one wing, there is a slight dip in the leading edge between ribs three and 4. If I were to do it again, I think I would have hung a bag of sand between the inner support and the lift strut support during installation to compensate for that. Otherwise, I like the look and find that the new airpane is much more stable during high power stalls than my first one. I am still hoping to hear a report from someone who has the smooth leading edge with VGs.
    Lowell

Lowell,
    The instructions for the leading edge kit show the installation on wing stands, so it wasn't recommended to install the kit while rigged. I was thinking that it would be better to install the edge kit while the wings are in the rigged position to maintain the rigged shape. I also installed the fuel tanks while rigged for this same reason. Prior the installation I asked John McBean and he said that it was a good idea if it is possible. I've been wondering if it would be good to cover the wings while on the fuselage??? That would add to the work vs a rotisserie.

Scott

Scott,
    I guess our thinking was pretty much the same on the leading edge install - interesting. I don't think the wing would care much if you used a rotisserie. There is a lot of flexibility in the fabric. I recall in the Denney days going to one of the fly-ins and one of the principals working there pushed a finger into the fabric until it left a dent - expalining that it would work its way flat again in a couple of minutes.
    Lowell

We have installed the leading edge both ways. The wing on the
    Rotec Radial plane had the leading edge installed laying flat and
    preloaded, meaning wing was supported at the root and tips. The
    SS7 was installed with the wings supported vertically with the
    front spar up. All installs so far have worked fine

Lowell, I do not have definitive numbers because we would have
    to fit a particular aircraft with both wings. So far, everyone that
    has flown the wing have noted a difference at both stall and cruise.
    The pilots from the magazines have commented on the "solid" feel
    of the plane. That's so subjective I don't know what it means LOL.

My rebuilt Vixen with the new LE certainly climbs better, is faster
    and is just a joy to fly. Well, they all are a joy to fly.

Phil

Thanks Phil,
    Your impression is very similar to mine. What interested me in the first flight is the fact that the airplane seemed to fly exactly like my first one did. But as I went through the flight test program, It seemed to feel much more stable and I was especially impressed with power on stalls. My first Model IV would get very exciting at the stall break full power. Power off stalls are much more like mushes with loss of altitude with an immediate recovery by dropping the nose a bit. I could recover in less than a hundred feet. Climb was better from the get go despite a prop pitch issue. I re-pitched once I got the airplane home.

Then with the test sequences complete and the need for more hours, it became clear that the in flight stability was excellent with a slightly higher cruise speed despite the fat Nanking tires - but I must confess here that I faired everything.

Using the aluminum skins provided some challenges but I like the looks and the results.
    Lowell

I finally got some free time after the holiday to work on the kitfox. Today I got the flaperons installed on the wings. I added some pictures showing the solid rivits that I used on the trailing edge. The solid rivits made for a good finish. My RV Buddy came over to help me out with solid rivits. We used a countersink along with a rivit squizer. I am going to try and set the control horns tomorrow while the flaperons are mounted to the wings.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=298

Enjoy

Scott

Scott,
    I used the solid rivets there as well and also like the look. I think a good rivet squeezer is a good tool to have. I used it on everything that it accessed - lots of nutplates.
    Lowell

Aren't the flaperons supposed to be drilled to the wing after fabric?

No, you drill for them first, but don't actually install them with the rivets until after covering and final paint.

Jim

How do you find the holes once the fabric, primer, and paint are on?