Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Captainphx's build

Default Re: Captainphx's build

What do you guys use for fitting sealant for the fittings in the fuel tank? The manual says it should be gasoline imperious.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

EZ turn sealant. Good stuff. Aircraft Spruce.
    ezturnlube.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Hi Brett,

Have you used this successfully (for an extended period of time) on tapered pipe threads in a fiberglass structure? There are conflicting opinions and experience with this product, which is equivalent to Fuel Lube, and many people claim that it is all they ever use on fuel fittings. It was originally designed for use with plug valves, as a lubricant. They also recommend it's use with gaskets. It is a lubricant, and good for that purpose, but is not a "sealant" in the conventional sense. It definitely shouldn't be used on tapered pipe threads in high pressure applications, which our fuel systems aren't of course. Brake fittings would be an example. The threads in our fiberglass fuel tanks can be relatively non-precision and a little crude. Something that cures and has some "filler", as well as lubricating properties would seem to be a surer bet. I'm just curious about your experiences with it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Would you believe that the original product (blue stuff) that the build manual suggests for the brake fittings did not work for me but this EZ lube is. I will admit that at first it started off failing just like the Permatex product but after several days it dried up and is still working on my brake fittings now for a year.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Appreciate the question John. I was an owner of a boat maintenace business in San Diego after I retired from the USN. I stumbled onto this product while in the boatyard. A seasoned mechanic said I should use it and have used this product ever sense on all my npt fuel fittings on steel, aluminum, and fiberglass tanks. Usually with brass or stainless fittings. Always did the job.

As my plane is NOT yet flying, I have ZERO experience with it on an airplane!

I never have used it like Eddie has on brake pressure fittings. Nice to know that it worked!

Disclaimer - Jmho and it worked well for me in the past. I have no interest in the product other than that.
    With luck this thread will not turn into what's the best to "oil" use, lol.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I have this, but:

IMG_5656.jpg

I am questioning because the build manual states that it should be fuel impervious rather than just resistant. Can't find a fuel "impervious" sealant online. Do any of you use this?
    Last edited by captainphx; 05-08-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Paul, that is what Kitfox recommends and I believe they use it on their factory built SLSA's. I still use the old Loctite 9AR; It has worked perfectly for me on all NPT fittings, fuel, oil, and brake, in steel, aluminum and fiberglass for 7 years now without a leak. Just my experience.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim. Yes I have that too. Glad to know that's what works.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

That's what I used on the tanks also, although it (the 9AR) isn't available anymore... anybody know if there is a direct equivalent available from Loctite?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by captainphx View Post
    I believe this is essentially the direct replacement. Permatex used to be owned by Loctite. My 9AR says Permatex on the tube. There is still some 9AR left on Amazon.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT