Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Captainphx's build

Default Re: Captainphx's build

I'm curious, why the wing tip fence and not the smooth bladed tip that I am familiar with.

Is there a benefit?

I realize that with the earlier Kitfoxes, some had a droop down profile at the tip.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Paul - Just saw your post on the STi extended wing tip and light install. THANK YOU!! I have been looking at that while working the wings trying to figure out how I was going to do that. I had come to the conclusion that a backing plate was the 'right' way but hadn't figured on how to execute that. Now I know. Appreciate your taking the time to post that

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Quote Originally Posted by taff View Post
    I'm curious, why the wing tip fence and not the smooth bladed tip that I am familiar with.

Is there a benefit?

I realize that with the earlier Kitfoxes, some had a droop down profile at the tip.
    Well, all I can tell you is the theory...At the tip of a wing, where the low pressure above the wing meets the relative high pressure under the wing, a vortex is produced...a horizontal tornado, albeit a small one. That vortex causes drag. The foam board tip of the STi wing acts as a "fence", to block the flow of air from curling over to the top of the wing, thus preventing the vortex and so preventing drag.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Paul - Just saw your post on the STi extended wing tip and light install. THANK YOU!! I have been looking at that while working the wings trying to figure out how I was going to do that. I had come to the conclusion that a backing plate was the 'right' way but hadn't figured on how to execute that. Now I know. Appreciate your taking the time to post that

Gary
    Glad to help!
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Quote Originally Posted by captainphx View Post
    Well, all I can tell you is the theory...At the tip of a wing, where the low pressure above the wing meets the relative high pressure under the wing, a vortex is produced...a horizontal tornado, albeit a small one. That vortex causes drag. The foam board tip of the STi wing acts as a "fence", to block the flow of air from curling over to the top of the wing, thus preventing the vortex and so preventing drag.
    Thanks!
    Sounds reasonable, and maybe even more effective the faster the airplane is traveling. And the heavier the aircraft is. (like commercial airliners)

I was always taught to keep away from Airline wing tip vortexes during my training.
    One day I was in an RV4 at about 7000' a airliner crossed our path earlier at maybe 2000' above us. We felt the bumps as we travelled through the descending vortexes.

Commercial airplanes now have the upward flip to the wing tip, to reduce the effect of drag making travel less expensive for 'em. We can't see that in the cost of tickets though.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Wingtip vortices are a real thing, and they're potentially deadly to a plane the size of a Kitfox. I departed KPHX in a CRJ-200 a number of years ago, a bit less than a minute behind an Airbus A319. We got into his wingtip vortices and it rolled our RJ to somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees. I had to hold full opposite aileron for about three seconds to stop the roll and right the plane. I'm sure that encounter would have flipped a Kitfox over and potentially done structural damage.

If you ever fly your Kitfox near large aircraft, take wake turbulence seriously!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Getting my wings ready for cover...I went thru the procedure in the manual for checking for leaks in the fuel tanks way back before I installed them. All checked fine. But I was still concerned about a possible leak, thinking that once I cover, and if there is a leak I would become very unhappy. Clark in AZ, who is building a Superstol, gave me an idea and I decided to try it. I filled my wing tanks with distilled water and allowed them to sit for a bout 8 hours. No leaks!!! I did slightly over fill and the water ran out confirming the functionality of my overflow drain. Anyway, I suppose this test is of limited usefulness, because as you can see in the pics where the water level is when the tank is full, and some of the tank seams will not be submersed and so those seams won't be checked. But at least I know my fittings don't leak. I then drained the tanks. The airplane is still probably a year from flying, so I am sure that any water that may still be in there will evaporate. Gives me a little piece of mind before I cover.
    IMG_6803.jpg
    IMG_6800.jpg
    IMG_6802.jpg
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

When you guys ran your wires through your wing spar, did you tape them together every so often, or did you just run them through.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

I put them in a sleeve to protect them but I don’t think it’s nesscary.
    The fuel fittings didn’t start leaking until 1 year into flying and at high altitude where its cold. If I recall you did a banjo fitting which should save you down the road.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I ran my wires in a light corrugated sleeve inside the rear spar. I think its important because they have to pass by all those rivets sticking thru the spar inserts and the lift strut brackets-lots of chances for vibration to cause abrasion of the wire insulation.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS