Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Captainphx's build

Default Re: Captainphx's build

I think the handiest tool I bought was a milwaukee cordless grinder with some 4" cutoff wheels. Its like the binford 5100 dremel.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I pretty much have my doors trimmed down to their final size, except for the forward edge where there is a slight change in angle. There is a weldment there. Are you guys trimming the acrylic bubble door around the weldment or are you taking down the weldment?
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

I did neither. If I understand the spot your concerned about I will just say that you should consider the seal that will be installed. It will not allow the plexiglass to make contact with the airframe itself.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Project moving along, but slowly.

Installing the spar reinforcement brackets. Did you guys ream the brackets out prior to installing them? My .3125 reamer won't make a dent in those steel brackets. Build manual doesn't mention it.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Paul,

I think those are pretty hard steel. If you don't use enough lubricant, or go a little too slow and don't use enough steady pressure, heat builds up and the steel can become hardened in the area of contact with the cutting tool. It's easy to dull a reamer if that happens. That might be what you have encountered. You could get the reamer re-sharpened or buy a new one & try again, keeping the above points in mind, or you might have to use a cobalt reamer.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John, that is the conclusion I came up with. My reamer is very dull. Ordered a new cobalt one yesterday. Thank you for your reply!
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Been away from the airplane for awhile. Back at it again. Working on the left wing, forward spar, lower reinforcement bracket installation. I have included a few photos. It appears the hole that was drilled into the spar at the factory for the clevis pin is not exactly centered on the spar. It is drilled slightly aft of top dead center. Both the upper and lower hole. It can be seen in the photo below. Although it is only slightly aft, it is causing the outer plate to sit incorrectly, leaving a gap at one end of the plate or the other depending on how I align the bracket. I tried several different brackets. Take a look. Is this a problem? Or am I splitting hairs here? Only thing I can think of to get it to lay down better is using a rattail file to slightly elongate the hole in the outer bracket, but this doesn’t seem like a good solution, as I am assuming that the clevis should fit tight. What would be your advice on how to proceed?

IMG_5427.jpgIMG_5426.jpgIMG_5425.jpgIMG_5424.jpg
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Paul,

The slight off center thing isn't abnormal when you consider that the spacing of the front and aft carry through pin holes in the fuselage, which is set, is what determines where the holes in the spar will go. There can be some slight variation in the weldments. The factory put the holes in the spars where they need to go to match the fuselage - don't want to change that.

You are correct, use the rat tail file for something else - you want the pin to fit close and you can't move the holes in the spar if you expect the pins to fit when the wings are done.

On the reinforcing plate, others may have a different solutions; but, I would take it over to my 108 pound anvil, big old hammer and 6 inch vise as necessary and modify the shape of the reinforcing plate till it agrees the spar and lines up with the hole.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I'll take a stab at this also, Paul. First of all, I don't believe that those holes need to be a real close tolerance fit. They would not be using clevis pins if they were. The nicer the fit the better, but they're not super critical like many wing attachment designs on aircraft are. If I'm wrong about that I hope that someone else will chime in. As far as your issue goes, I think it might be OK to install as they are, and then carefully run a reamer through everything together. I found that the curvature (ID) of those fittings/brackets, as received from the factory, does not accurately match the OD of the spar tube. I happened to have a piece of steel pipe the same diameter as the spar, and I used that with my press to flatten them out a little so that they fit better and matched the surfaces they were being mounted on.

IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1235.jpg
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Paul , when the old factory was called Skystar in the late 90's , I took a trip to the factory to do a demo flight. I talked to one of the engineers about my concern about the size of the clevis pin , and he assured me that this was a very low stress area and he even went so far as to say, inflight , if the pin was not there the wing would maintain its position due to forward vector type loads inflight. I'm never gonna test that theory but I did feel better about that skinny clevis. Hasn't failed me in 17 years , although I do replace them every few years. Bruce N199CL