Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Captainphx's build

Default Re: Captainphx's build

I would think this would be a good alternative: https://www.alliedelectronics.com//P...20sealants.pdf They make a hard-set too.

Quote Originally Posted by captainphx View Post
    I believe this is essentially the direct replacement. Permatex used to be owned by Loctite. My 9AR says Permatex on the tube. There is still some 9AR left on Amazon.
    RobS

I didn't have any trouble finding the 9AR on Amazon and E-Bay. Its probably older left-over stock, but if its not opened it seems to have very long shelf life.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Sorry for all the questions...What is the desired number of fitting threads that should be inside the fiberglass tank taps. My fuel tank strainer only goes in 3 threads when it is snugged up good. I have cleaned up the threads very well using my tap. Seems like it should go in a bit further, but I don't want to cut too far in with my tap.

Also, I did the leak check as stated in the manual by taping over all of the openings. No leaks in the tank surface, seams, or laminations. So, after that test, I decided to try it again using plugs in all the holes, no sealant, just snugged up and check the fittings. No leaks except for the fuel strainer, where I am getting a slight bit of bubbling at the fiberglass . Granted there is no sealant, but should I be concerned, or should I be confident the the sealant will seal it? The manual doesn't say to do this type of check, but seems like a good idea.

Fuel strainer with plug:

IMG_5670.jpg
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Paul,

In my opinion, if the fitting's threads are making contact with the complete depth of thread in the tank, that's good. That's much better than having the hole tapped too deeply where you run out of options with the tapered threads when the fitting bottoms out and it's still leaking. If the end of the fitting isn't penetrating the full depth of the threaded hole you can carefully tap it a little deeper.

Your test sounds good to me. You shouldn't expect to necessarily have good seals at the fittings without sealant.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John!
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

I tapped mine deeper. I have 1.5 -2 threads showing. I will admit I was nervous. I have not done a whole lot of tapping in my life. I believe your on the right path and I will tell you why I believe so. This strainer/fitting assy. will later on reveal that if you don't keep it all up as tidy as you can, you will need to trim your tank flanges. Maybe to add more clarity I can say, that the number one rib needs to be the farthest away from this strainer fitting assy. as possible to enable the clearance needed to remove the strainer during inspection. If it isn't, you will have to trim the fuel tank edges further so that you can slide the tank away from the first rib. Now you have another leak test to do and until done you will be concerned about just how much you can get away with trimming.. Just thought this might help before you find out later.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie. Your post sent me back to the manual to take a closer look. After comparing the wing build chapters of the STi with the SS7, I discovered they are quite different. For instance, the tank doesn't sit on top of the spar re-inforcement plate, the tank flanges don't get hysoled to the rib capstrips, and there is more room between the inboard edge of the tank and the #1 rib. But I will have to add an access hole to access the tank strainer. I did cut the threads in deeper. I will have about three threads showing on the fittings. The pic below of the strainer is not screwed all the way in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Ah Yes, forgot you have a STi
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Wow! That photo really shows how much thicker the STi wing is than the standard. No wonder it is slower and draggier.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Wow! That photo really shows how much thicker the STi wing is than the standard. No wonder it is slower and draggier.
    Yup..Maybe it's liftier? Gotta b a trade off in there somewhere!

Jim and Eddie...you guys always provide great info...thx
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT