Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Captainphx's build

Default Re: Captainphx's build

Nice setup and it's coming along nicely!!! I grew up in Yuma!!

Yes, I have read on this forum about the reflections. I'll have to wait and see if that bothers me or not.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Out of town for a week on vacation, so work has stopped temporarily, but I brought the fuselage section of the kit fox manual along for some light reading! Cant wait to get started on that.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Got back from a little vacation and got right back to work on the Kitfox. Got the ribs installed on the H Stab and Elev. Got the end caps installed. I used Balsa. Ordered some Superfill and will finish them off with that here in a few days. Everything's going pretty well so far. I am really enjoying this. I'm really anxious to move this thing along. As you may know I had my metal parts shipped unpainted. I took them to a paint shop. My plan is to do a paint scheme similar to the Factory Sti. I emailed Kitfox and asked them exactly what color their a/c was and they told me it is called Rancho Silver. So I had the paint shop paint the struts that color. I was thinking about using Oratex Silver, but it took so long for their sample to arrive and I just went ahead and painted the struts. Turns out that the Rancho Silver has a bit of a gold flake in it. I don't remember that when I saw the factory STi. It is absolutely beautiful, so it looks like no Oratex for me...polyfiber and paint. Anyway, what follows is a few pics of the progress.

IMG_4887.jpgIMG_4890.jpgIMG_4895.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Has anyone used/made a fuselage rotisserie that let you keep the HS attached or should it be removed?
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

I would say remove it. It would have to be a large rotisserie

Looking for a suggestion...

Doing a particularly difficult ream. Trying to ream the mounting holes where the trim actuator scissor link attaches to the HS stab. Not a lot of room to work. I did cut the .1875 reamer shorter. Got thru the aircraft left hole, and now am trying to get thru the aircraft right hole. That hole seems somewhat undersized, requiring the need for the reamer to remove a fair amount of material. I can't even get the reamer to start in the hole. There is so little room to work, I can't get much pressure on the reamer. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

One option is take a small rat tail file and try to take the powder coat off. Obviously use it symmetrically.

Yeah, I think my reamer has gotten dull and I ordered a new one. Coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will bite. Tried the rat tail file but it is too long. I must've missed this hole during reaming. Now the ribs are installed making for a very tight area to work in.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Question on the plastic left side control column bearing....manual says to sand it to fit snug. I haven't sanded mine at all and it fits not quite as snug as I would like. How was your bearing? Did it need sanding? Mine has a bit of play.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT