Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Captainphx's build

Default Re: Captainphx's build

Been installing the flaperons. Unfortunately I have made an error, and I wanted to run it by you guys. Working on the right wing. Installing the flaperon hinge brackets. I used a 1/8 drill bit taped to the training edge of the wing to get the proper clearance between the bracket and the wing. Installing the #1 and #9 brackets. After drilling, I noticed that my taped on drill bit rotated downwards and I lost most of my 1/8th inch clearance. The #9 bracket is installed correctly. No other hinge brackets are installed yet. I have the flaperon attached to #1 and #9 hinge brackets at the moment and the flaperon rotates freely. My major concern is the fabric install with so little clearance. I am most likely using Oratex. First pic below is the #9 bracket and the second is #1. There is air between the #1 bracket and the wing, but not much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

I would suggest redoing the #1 bracket and get it in the right spot. I would replace the backup pieces on the TE of the rib so you can drill new holes in the aluminum. For the longitudinal TE aluminum piece it would be best to put a backup piece of aluminum on the inside; it looks like the existing holes are going to be touching the the new holes.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Well, it's been a while since I posted. Project is moving along. Wings are just about ready for cover, fuselage too. Took a poly fiber course in Oshkosh. So now I'm doing Oratex. Oratex fabric should be here in another week or two. Silver. Got my FWF kit along with the carbon fiber cowl. Also received the extended - extended wingtips from Kitfox. Rotax 915is is here too and so is my MT prop. Wiring is well underway. Instruments are mounted on their trays behind the instrument panel. Instrument panel is due to be delivered from Steinair in about a week or so. Her are a few pics...

IMG_6526.jpg
    IMG_6555.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    Cockpit lighting

IMG_6628.jpg
    Some little speakers I mounted

IMG_6629.jpg
    IMG_6682.jpg
    IMG_6735.jpg
    This panel was sent by Stein, but had an error in it. They are making another.

IMG_6742.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6748.jpg
    IMG_6749.jpg
    IMG_6771.jpg
    Last edited by captainphx; 05-31-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

You have been busy! Looking good Paul.

Clark

Is that bed liner on the butt ribs? I'm copying that for sure.

I was about to order one of those Safety Trim devices. I had no idea they were so large. Did you weigh it by any chance?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Is that bed liner on the butt ribs? I'm copying that for sure.

I was about to order one of those Safety Trim devices. I had no idea they were so large. Did you weigh it by any chance?
    Yes, it is called Raptor Liner available on Amazon

Didn't weigh it, but it its maybe 4 or 5 ounces. It feels like a feather.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Question for you STi builders...the wingtip fence appears to be made of foam board with a fiberglass layer on the outboard side. I have Aeroled's NSP lights that I need to mount on the face of the fence. The Aeroled install instructions call for nut plates on the back side of whatever you are mounting them to, but that will not work with this foam board, plus I can't access the backside anyway. Could just hysol the Aeroled mounting plate to the fence, but trying to think of a better solution. Thought about using screws to mount the plate, but the foam board just doesn't offer enough material strength for the screw to grab onto. Though about nutserts also, but, again the foam board does not seem stout enough for that.How did you guys do your STi?

IMG_6793.jpg
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

I just opened up the holes enough to pump enough Hysol into each hole to make it firm. Then drilled the Hysol for each screw. Plenty strong and easy.
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    I just opened up the holes enough to pump enough Hysol into each hole to make it firm. Then drilled the Hysol for each screw. Plenty strong and easy.
    That is the exact thing that I thought of this AM. Thanks for your reply.
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT

Have been wanting to install my Aeroled NSP NAV lights in my STi wing tip fence and was perplexed at the best way to accomplish. Brandon Petersen returned my email and gave me some good ideas and here is how I did it. Thought I'd pass this along so others may know. Of course there are other ways, but this worked really good for me. The problem was that the inside of the fence has a couple of foam layers that are an inch thick each. I wasn't sure if it was OK to cut through it.
    IMG_6833.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    You can see here, when I hold the light behind the wingtip, where one of the 1 inch thick foam layers is.

IMG_6822.jpg
    And here is the other one.

So first step was to cut an opening in the first layer so you can access the inside of the wingtip...like this.
    IMG_6804.jpg
    Might as well make it an aviation shaped opening while your at it. I traced a lightening hole in one of my wing ribs and transferred it here.
    I initially cut the opening using a drill and then opened it up with a dremel, then used some sand paper and a file to smooth the opening.

Then I drilled a hole through the fence like so.
    IMG_6810.jpgIMG_6807.jpg

Next I made a backing plate out of .060 that was 2.5" x 1 3/4". Then laid it inside the wingtip on the layer of foam next to the fence and traced around it. Removed it, and again, used a dremel to remove foam material, until I was right down to the foam board that is the actual fence. As you get close, light begins to shine through the foam board fence. The foam board is .25 inch thick.
    IMG_6820.jpg

Then I taped the backing plate to the outside of the fence, along with the NSP mounting bracket and match drilled some holes. Then added some nut plates. Came out like this.

IMG_6814.jpg

Added some self etching primer

IMG_6813.jpg

Here it is installed. Final step will be to hysol the plate to the inside of the foam board fence. Mounted the light parallel to the chord line.

IMG_6832.jpgIMG_6825.jpg

Hope this helps others mount theirs!
    Paul

Building STi
    Rotax 915is
    MT Prop
    Oratex
    N951CT