Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: #Northernfox Build

Default Re: #Northernfox Build

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Seems to me that gluing to those xbrace tubes will cause small ugly dimples where the glue pulls the fabric down below the level surface; would be very hard to avoid this. I think someone got their instructions misunderstood.
    There is a pretty good way to avoid this. Lars had instructed me to do this on the stringers on the bottom and sides of the fuselage. After tightening the fabric on the side of the fuselage, before covering the top surface, I used a syringe to lay down glue into the surface where the fabric lays up against the stringer. Without pressure, I simply used a heat gun to heat the glue up and viola. My fabric is adhered and I won't be getting any small bits like sand and grasses settling in between the stringers and fabric. There is certainly an argument that bits will get caught in the valley between stringer and fabric though. Hopefully it won't be wedged in and a vacuum will still remove it all.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Oh boy. A lot has happened since my last post here. With everything else that goes on, it's impossible to find time. I've been trying to post quick updates on twitter as they happen. I don't have time tonight for a full update, hopefully I can soon. Right now I've got everything covered (for the most part), engine on and buttoned up, cowling ready for finish sanding then paint, 90% of wiring done. Big thing I'm waiting on right now is my dash. I took forever deciding on my layout and hopefully getting it back from laser cutting the end of the week. Then it's on to getting that in and everything wired up. Follow me @northernkitfox
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Well, so much for updates on my project. More than a year since my last post here. As much as I hoped to chronical my build (as I love reading all the build threads myself) there just wasn't enough time in my day to do so. Especially with COVID. There was a very long stretch of not doing anything build related. Two kids under 5 at home full time, a full time job and trying to build...you can image I'm sure.

That said, lets see if I can provide some updates. I'm DONE! Well, 99% done. Waiting for inspection next month and a few little things to button up before then.

Here's how things went over the last year... from what I can remember. There was way more fabric to finish than I realized. All the little things that take 90% of the time. Using oratex I wanted to do as much as possible without paint. So my under wing and tail registration was all hand cut, masked and applied with oratex. That was a lot of work. Edge tapes on the tail were also very stressful and took multiple tries on the smallest radii. I actually hand cut a tape with a curve already in it - which worked out great.

The dash. As posted in the dash thread it turned out amazing. There was a lot of thought put into it - probably more than anything else. I wanted it minimal with only the most used items having physical toggle switches. Best part is I can easily modify those with the VPX if I find I don't like the current combination. I've sat in there for hours playing with it and setting up the g3x - I really like it.

Upholstery. I didn't have anything and figured I could do it all from scratch. That was way more work than expected as usual. I decided on a two tone interior to match the exterior. Also decided to use a high grade marine fabric. For the foam I went with a 2" thick high density cushion foam derived from soy bean. Materials alone cost me about $650 cdn. Cutting the foam wasn't too bad - but I did use some cheap test foam I had laying around to test out a few ways to cut for the control stick. I added an extra thickness to the bottom near the edge of about 1/4" to hopefully reduce any strain. One of the things I really wanted to do was be able to make the seat pan look great even with the cushions out. That's where things got difficult and I had to get creative. The fabric only stretched in one direction and there was no way I was going to one piece the entire pan. In the end I used panels with nice stitched edges to cover the entire seat pan. On the bottom with the help of Velcro the panel covers the seat box but still provides easy access. In the end it turned out great and I'm very happy with it. I do have to fix a few spots where the velcro wasn't correctly glued to the pan and it pealing off. No big deal though. The dash was covered with the same material (twice) as the first time I damaged it when installing into the plane. The door hydraulic piston tabs cut right into the dash - which is going to make it very precarious to remove if I have to. I also made some custom seat belt covers which really set it all off perfectly. The control stick covers were done with $20 shifter covers I found on amazon. They worked out ok.

Being a model 6, the turtle deck provided was not a single piece of lexan - so I decided to make my own. I purchased a nice dark smoke lexan and took measurements from the sheet metal deck I had. Using a friends 5 ton bender I cold bent the lexan and it turned out perfect. Now the next step to the custom deck was a special keyhole cutout made with acrylic to accommodate the BRS chute exit point. That turned out great and I made a custom ledge so that it sits flat with the surface and is held down with small plastic car clips. Had to make the insert twice. The acrylic shattered the first attempt.... exactly what it's suppose to do in this situation upon rocket exit. So I'm confident that won't be an issue.

Now of coarse there were all kinds of other little things to deal with... gas line completion and testing... only had a small drip leak in my sight tube on one side - and countless other things - oh, like the doors and designing a new custom handle/lock system.

With everything but a small list of chores left it was time to fill all the fluids and start the engine. Christmas eve was the big day. It was the first time taking the plane outside of the shop with wings on. It was a great feeling. (although a bit cold at -8C). The first thing I did notice however was that in the cold the oratex showed spots where I obviously didn't shrink evenly and I will have to go over again. (once back inside it the warm it was taught again - but I still have to go over it).

First thing on the list was fuel flow test. I opted for the 20 degree test as it was hard to find any other recommendation. With a friend helping we started the test - each pump individually and then together. Somethings a bit odd at this point. In each test we were seeing 4L/min - I'm suspecting that the filter is being bypassed either because it's blocked for some reason or backwards. I've not dug into it. Fuel pressure is fine when checked.

We went ahead with the engine start shortly after. First crank it roared to life. Seemed far too easy - but I wasn't complaining. Ran it for about 4 min as we started to notice a small ticking sound. Pulled the valve covers to find cylinder 3 intake and cylinder 2 exhaust valves were not holding and the rockers could easily be pushed down with one finger. After a quick chat with Rotax and finding out there was an SI last month in regards to this - we were told to run it up to 3x10min and bring up the rpms. After doing so and re-checking everything all cylinders were good and the tick was gone. Back inside we assessed everything. One small drip from the oil return line on the exhaust - tighten that up. The pilot side break line had a leak under the seat where it passes through the fabric. Worst though is there is a 2" crack in the windshield near the wing attach. Have to stop drill that and hopefully repair.

Next up was the W&B. I was guessing around 880 given I have a 35lb brs system. Wow, I was wrong. Clocked in at 907lbs. 68lbs on the tail. Things obviously add up faster than expected. 26" airstreaks, t3 tail with large wheel, brs. I also assume the made from scratch wings are heaver than factory built option too. Anyway, it is what it is. Now, this ended up putting me at a CG of 10.4". Further back than I was hoping, but not unexpected given the BRS in the baggage area.

So, next up is the chores list and final inspection mid january. Can't believe I'm here.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

That's a nice report, Keith! Glad you're close to flying now!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Sounds like you had a fun, but busy year. Best of luck with the inspection.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Congrats!

Things take alot of perseverance in this world lately.

Had my final inspection last week. Phewf. Glad that's finally over. Took a long time to get there. I had 2 inspectors present as one was in training. I was a little stressed going into it as I really didn't know what to expect. Took about 4hr to complete and a lot of talking. I could see that one of the biggest things they were looking at was my understanding of everything. There wasn't much to fuss about in the end. A short list of things to fix including a few bolts that need to be a bit longer (more threads showing), a letter re: Oratex seams, oil vent line needs to be longer, I forgot to tighten 2 bolts after adjustments on flight controls, and replace the split loom. The last one was an interesting talk and we actually performed a burn test. Something that I didn't even think about. I had used some white split loom to try and match the interior frame color, turns out it will drip molten plastic as it burns and thus he wants it replaced. He was very interested in the Element fire extinguisher and didn't have any issues with it - which was great. He said he's going to convert his halon now.

Anyway, once I send back the paperwork with the items complete, he figures about 2-3 months before I get my airworthiness papers. So.... more waiting. Going to try and get it outside for a photoshoot soon as the weather warms.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Fantastic news -- congrats!!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Congrats! And thanks for the hint on the Element fire extinguisher. I think I'll get one.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

, a letter re: Oratex seams,

Congrats on a good job!
    What does the comment about oratex mean?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw