Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: #Northernfox Build

Default Re: #Northernfox Build

I think your truck will handle the load, haha.
    How was the Airmaster prop to install?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Desertfox4 thanks for the info. Very likely my issue. Just standard Grove.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    I think your truck will handle the load, haha.
    How was the Airmaster prop to install?
    It was easy to install. Torque calculations with extension were looked over several times first. That was really the most difficult bit.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Keith, Good suggestions about brake conditioning , and let me add my 2 cents . I have standard cleveland brakes on my Series 5 and over the years have had different size tires on my plane. I currently run the Desser 22" tundras . Two things come to mind when looking at your brake performance (after the aforementioned conditioning) Tire size (size does matter) and brake technique . The bigger the tire the more brake power required (and you got some big ones, tires that is) and technique - for full stopping power , I have to get my feet right to the top of the brake pedals for maximum effect. I have tested this on wet grass by watching the tires out the window after landing and using various brake pressures, the only way the tires will lock up and slide on the wet grass is with my toes really leveraging the top of the brake pedals. I'm not doing STOL contests or gravel bar landings so my brakes are sufficient for my operations and I actually like that they aren't "touchy" and I don't fear putting her on her nose by overbraking. Hope this helps. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Keith, Good suggestions about brake conditioning , and let me add my 2 cents . I have standard cleveland brakes on my Series 5 and over the years have had different size tires on my plane. I currently run the Desser 22" tundras . Two things come to mind when looking at your brake performance (after the aforementioned conditioning) Tire size (size does matter) and brake technique . The bigger the tire the more brake power required (and you got some big ones, tires that is) and technique - for full stopping power , I have to get my feet right to the top of the brake pedals for maximum effect. I have tested this on wet grass by watching the tires out the window after landing and using various brake pressures, the only way the tires will lock up and slide on the wet grass is with my toes really leveraging the top of the brake pedals. I'm not doing STOL contests or gravel bar landings so my brakes are sufficient for my operations and I actually like that they aren't "touchy" and I don't fear putting her on her nose by overbraking. Hope this helps. Bruce N199CL
    Yeah, that was obviously another thought (big tires need more breaks). I'll see how things go tomorrow. Thanks.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

That wasn't there before.

Noticed this on my walk around today. Think it's the result of the rough engine on Friday.

Things never go as planned. Today I did empty 20L of fuel and added some fresh in the hopes of doing a run up again. However, it looks like my last run sucked in all the coolant leaving the reservoir empty and I had none with me. Not use to being in a new spot without all my things. Actually also forgot my keys for the plane today too.

Ended up doing just a few little things. Wanted to do the final install of my BRS rocket too, but didn't have blue lock tight with me. Hopefully I'll get everything in the hanger soon so there's nothing left to forget.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Still some gremlins before getting her airborne. Rough engine is cleaned up with fresh gas. Idle adjusted. Now two issues remain. Fuel pressure is low once running and .... um..... turns out I reversed the break lines. That was surprisingly difficult to realize. So, have to drain the lines and switch them. Likely they got crossed going through the center console. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Also, anyone have a picture or part number of the saftey pins that are suppose to go through the wing pins? I can't seem to find that anywhere in the manual.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

The safety pins are on pg19 of the wing assembly tab.
    The rear lugs get a AN380-2-3 cotter pin (P/N 91073)
    The front lugs get a safety pin AN416-1 (p/n 91098)
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.hvac View Post
    The safety pins are on pg19 of the wing assembly tab.
    The rear lugs get a AN380-2-3 cotter pin (P/N 91073)
    The front lugs get a safety pin AN416-1 (p/n 91098)
    Thanks! My manual is for a 6 so the pages don't match up, nor do i see that pin listed anywhere! Although, I do recall seeing something like that in the "leftover" parts bin. Will have to go take a look. Thanks Pat!
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Well, after more than a month at the hanger working out all the little details - some more frustrating than others - Northern Fox took flight yesterday! I've struggled with breaks, tail wheel concerns and just a bunch of little things that needed to be completed after moving to the hanger. The final puzzle was an adjustment on the prop to allow a finer pitch to reach full rpms for take off.

I only have phone video as my go-pro failed to turn on and I dropped my dslr on the ramp - rendering it useless.

So far 5 take offs and landings and initial testing showing a stall speed of about 37 kts and cruise of about 88 kts. Lots more testing to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrS7QEIjcLo
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO