Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: #Northernfox Build

Default #Northernfox Build

Well, I've officially taken the leap and hereby dub my project #Northernfox.

This will be my unofficial post for keeping you updated with progress and frustrations.

Here's my backstory on getting to this point.

Originally, I'm an Icon A5 deposit holder. But, short story short - when they basically doubled the cost I decided no way. I have 2 kids to put through school.

Back in November/December there was a KF6 completed that came up for sale about 5 hours from me. I talked to the owner and was trying to arrange looking at it. However, my knowledge was very limited at the time and I was slow to act. Poof, it was gone.

After poking my nose around here for a few months I made my decision that Kitfox was the way to go and opportunity came at just the right time. I had literally just received back my final quote on a new 7 when that evening my phone dinged with a hit on a kitfox kit for sale. Not wanting to loose out (a second time) I was on the phone in minutes.

After a chat on the phone that night I decided it was worth looking at. It wasn't a 7, but one of the first model 6's. I called a friend currently building a 7 who's also been building for the last 20 years and asked if he wanted to take a drive. Next day we were on the road.

We spent several hours going over the kit, looking at the workmanship and making sure there were no scratches, dings or otherwise that would instantly turn us away. There wasn't. There were/are a few things that needed slight fixing/cleaning up, but only minor things. My friend has an eye for what to look for (I don't) so I'm glad he came along. Long story short, questions were asked and decisions made. I decided it was worth it. It's in great condition, lots has already been completed, it gets me months ahead of the game (current estimated shipping of a new kit is end of Sept 2018), and the price was right - delivery included.

After a few hours of packing it onto the trailer and making sure everything was secure we headed home. The stress wasn't over as delivery would be the next day. Until it was safe in my shop I was going to be worried. But, the next day 10am it arrived. The biggest trouble was getting stuck in the yard trying to turn the trailer around to unload. Everything else appeared to be fine after the trip. A little bit of rubbing from rope used to hang the wings, but only minor.

Now, it begins. Will inventory the hardware and figure out if and what might be missing. There are several items I will be selling as I don't need/want them.

My biggest hurdle right now is I have to finish the basement reno before I can start on this

I'm sure a few might be upset that i snatched it up (sorry but not sorry).

Default Re: #Northernfox Build

Congrats Keith. The model 6 a great Kitfox. Alway glad to hear that a kit will be finished and flown and not languish in someone’s hangar barn or shop forever.
    Look forward to your build progress postings. Enjoy the build.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Congrats on the purchase. That is how I got my Model 5 Outback.

Sounds like you have some real motivation to finish the basement reno. We are looking forward to seeing posts on your build.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Congrats. If this is the one that went up on the forum last week, I think you got a very good deal. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Glad to hear Keith. I curious to know if it was the one in Niagra Falls? You’re going to have a blast and if that’s the one, you got a real leg up on the build both time wise and money wise. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Yep, it's the one from Niagra. I'm now the 3rd builder on this kit. Hopefully the last.

A bit of background on the kit...

The original owner is out of KY and purchased in March 2000. I believe it was one of the first Model 6. The original invoice is still on "Kitfox Outback" headers with 5 scratched out for 6.

There was no original power coating, and I'm told the factory "paint" was removed and then powder coated by original owner.

Some of the build was done by the original owner in the early 2000s, according to the manual and page sign offs. Mostly work on the tail and some of the fuselage.

The second owner purchased and obtained the kit in October 2017. All of the hardware was replaced with new and all of the build that was already done was re-checked and hardware replaced. The build process continued finishing the majority of the fuselage and wings. The wing twist and sweep was completed. The tanks are not mounted nor the last spar or bottom false ribs. The inside of the aluminum tubes of the wings was primed as well.

Now it's up to me to move it along. I'll go over everything as it stands to make sure everything is in tolerance and nothing was missed. Then start on finishing the wings.

I'll then have to make decisions on all of the components and get those ready if anything needs to be mounted prior to fabric. Which, I've decided will be Oratex.

What is it missing....engine and engine mount along with all avionics (including strobes/navs).

It does have engine faring and cowling, but for a c-200. I'm not sure yet if i'll be able to work with this for my 912is or if i'll have to get new.

So, depending on how things look, I forsee putting up for sale
    - fairing/cowling
    - wheel pants (main) with brackets
    - original roll of fabric still unopened and stored out of sunlight (so i'm told)
    - all pinking fabric

Congrats Keith
    On your purchase and good luck
    On your build, you won't be disappointed with oratex .

Just a few little updates.

I've secured my engine. I will be going with a 912is Sport factory new. Got a great deal on it (i think anyway) as it's an older model year. They jacked up the prices recently and no longer include exhaust/ring mounts.

I've also ordered from Kitfox all the additional bits I need/want as well as the FWF kit. Probably 6 weeks out on delivery there.

Ordered some Oratex samples - so need to make some decisions on color scheme.

Still working out my avionics situation but pretty sure going all Garmin.

The only progress right now is to report my engine has arrived! Going to crack open the crate tonight and marvel at it's shinyness.

Angry Re: #Northernfox Build

I've been back and forth about making this post for various reasons, but it needs to be done because I need knowledge and experience of this group.

A few days after receiving my purchase of the uncompleted model 6, I noticed something suspicious in the paint that we had not when looking at it before the purchase. In hindsight I feel stupid for missing it (because as you will see it's more than the odd spot).

Anyway, be it lighting or the fact I was running my hand down all parts of the plane getting to know her, that I felt something odd. It wasn't smooth. And it was in more than one place. I noticed it first around some of the interior upper areas when sitting inside, and on further inspection it was apparent that the issue was rather large - as in many many places.

On initial inspection, the paint didn't look smooth, and you could feel it. It looked as if - dare i say - a really bad rust spot was painted over. My heart sank.

I took out the sander and started removing the paint (which was known to be done after the original owner purchased the kit). With little effort, the paint actually started to flake off in small thick pieces, reveling the original factory paint job (i'm assuming). Just in case, I also removed that layer to find what to me looks like perfectly good metal. No rust.

Now here's my concerns. There's a lot of this on the frame, and to be sure I feel that every area has to be cleaned and verified there is no hidden rust. I've done about 6-7 smaller areas and can confirm those are all ok. It appears that it's just a very poorly done paint job, and the bumps are uneven paint.

I've also found areas where there are bubbles and pressing them causes it to flake. Almost all of these areas are on the underside near the tail. But, it comes off so easy I don't see any other option but to remove the paint from all surfaces where fabric will need to be glued. But should I take it further and remove it from the entire frame? I'm not sure I would even consider it. Or should I?

I just feel deflated thinking about it. And not sure what direction I should take here. I've attached several images for clarity.
    Attached Images Attached Images