Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: #Northernfox Build

Default Re: #Northernfox Build

Just noticed from tracstarr's post that he is gluing the Oratex to every cross and angle tube that the fabric touches. With PolyFiber in most cases you only glue the fabric around the edges of each piece (on the wings you do glue each rib). All that gluing seems unnecessary to me; it also seems that it would be very difficult to get even and consistent fabric tension over the whole panel. Is this really what Oratex requires?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was wondering the same Jim. Even the rib gluing is only from the Kitfox manual. Poly Fiber does not specify gluing the fabric to the ribs. It seems to me the fabric needs to be able to move across the structure as it shrinks.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yes. Every surface the oratex touches requires glue. You can actually shrink very well then glue the cross members and ribs afterwards. It works very well. I also won't need reinforcing strips or tapes over any of those areas.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

A lot of people get hung up on what poly fiber manual says. I had the advantage doing Oratex in never doing poly fiber or reading the polyfiber manual. Hopefully you get things resolved so your inspector is happy.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Just caught up on your thread. Moving along nicely!
    Like your choice of tires. Here's to your covering turning out great.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    Yes. Every surface the oratex touches requires glue...
    I don't know about that. It certainly wasn't a requirement, or even a suggestion when I was covering and staying in touch with Better Aircraft Fabric on a very regular basis. Is this another one of Lar's recommendations that differs from what the factory recommends (like the lack of finish tapes)? Just curious.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yeah, I didn't attach the fabric to the underside tubing either. I did place tapes over those though. Opposite of what Dustin did. I will be able to see, at some point, if the fabric is being chafed in those locations. Easy to just throw the glue on and secure the fabric after the fact if I find its problematic.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I can't recall where it came from originally, but lars was very strong worded about it when talking directly with him. I'm fairly sure it's in at least one of the documents but I'd have to read them again.

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Yeah, I didn't attach the fabric to the underside tubing either. I did place tapes over those though. Opposite of what Dustin did. I will be able to see, at some point, if the fabric is being chafed in those locations. Easy to just throw the glue on and secure the fabric after the fact if I find its problematic.
    It was your picture that got me taking to Lars directly about it. I saw what you had done, although didn't know until now you didn't glue. I was told to glue and then I was asking about why I would also need doubles. That's where Lars said I didn't. No need.

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Seems to me that gluing to those xbrace tubes will cause small ugly dimples where the glue pulls the fabric down below the level surface; would be very hard to avoid this. I think someone got their instructions misunderstood.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS