Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: #Northernfox Build

Default Re: #Northernfox Build

I'm sure Keith will chime in, but the basic helmet looks to be a "Team Wendy" specifically the EXFIL SAR Backcountry model with rails. The conversion to flight helmet is probably from Sky Cowboy Supply Company. They have various ways to convert helmets including individual parts or a DIY version or a complete flight helmet with visor and/or headset.

I can vouch for the comfort of the Team Wendy Helmet.

Dave.

https://www.teamwendy.com/search-rescue

https://www.skycowboysupplyco.com/shop-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    That looks great! What helmet is that?
    Yep this is a sky cowboy setup using bose a20. So comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Any chance you can share the letter from BAF for MD-RA? I will be inquiring for the same thing shortly.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Pm me direct. I can share contents, but it's specific to my tail number and build.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Moving day. Should be in new home shortly.

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

That's got to be exciting!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Made it.

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Ready

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

That was a very nerve racking 30km drive. I think I almost puked once or twice.

There's still a lot of little things to button up before first flight. Want to go through a full annual inspection just because of the transfer process. And for peace of mind.

I did attempt a taxi test today, but that didn't go well. First, there was something off about the engine. It just didn't sound right at lower RPM. At idle throttle the engine actually quit. Twice. The second issue is that the breaks won't hold more than 3000 rpms. They are not squishy and no leaks, so hoping they just need to be broken in.

As time in my day ran out I didn't get much more accomplished. However, I realize now on the drive home what the likely issue with the engine is. Winter gas. Although I added 20L of fresh gas today, the header tank still had some fuel from January and I didn't think to drain it. I'll do that monday and try again.

Not sure what to do about the breaks though. I can't easily control my taxi, so how am i going to break them in? Or maybe I just need more break given bigger tires?
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Glad your Kitfox made the trip uneventful Keith. Also regarding your brakes, they will need "conditioning" before they become effective.

***If you have Beringer brakes here is their instructions for brake conditioning:

"CONDITIONNING PROCEDURE
    When new brake pads have been installed, it is important to condition them properly to obtain the best
    service life. Rated brake torque value is reached only after a full and proper conditioning of brake pads
    and discs.
    CAUTION: Brake torque value can be only 50% of rated brake torque before conditioning. It means
    that even with full brake effort the aircraft will not stop as usual. Pilot must take into consideration this
    parameter to avoid loss of aircraft control during the conditioning procedure.
    CONDITIONNING PROCEDURE:
    1. Taxi aircraft for 500m (1500 feet) with light brake effort.
    2. Perform two (2) consecutive stops from 50-55 km/h / 30-35 knots down to 10km/h / 5 knots. Apply
    light brake effort during these two stops; do not try to apply full brake effort."

***If they are Grove wheels and brakes, here is text copied directly from Grove's website concerning new brake wear in:

"Seat the Brake Pads — These non-asbestos organic composition brake pads require a thin layer of glazed material at the lining friction surface in order to provide maximum braking performance. This glazed layer is produced by the heat generated during normal braking operations, and is maintained during the life of the lining. Since new brake pads do not have this layer, it must be created by the following process:

1. Heat the pads by “dragging the brakes” while taxiing at a slow speed with moderate power. Do not use maximum braking pressure.

2. Allow the brakes to cool for 5 - 10 minutes

3. Test the results at full static run-up. If the brakes hold, break-in is complete. If they fail to hold, repeat steps 1 and 2 until they do."

Keith, here is a link to that specific page if you need to check for any other technical info on Grove's wheels/brake combos: https://www.groveaircraft.com/brakeinstall.html

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear