Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    One fairly obvious tip (to everyone else but me) is not to label the wires all at the same place (usually at the end of the wire). Doing this can often result in a big bulge of wires + their labels when they go into something like a D-Sub connector. Guess how I know this

(Labels snipped off and then staggered along the wires)
    Yep, agree. Staggered mine for that reason. At the moment I’m just struggling with how best to route wires so it doesn’t look like a bowl of spaghetti ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

I love spaghetti, except in wire bundles.

Been a long time since I posted so I thought a bit of an update needed. I'm now down to finish painting the fuselage and have, after a lot of anguish, decided on a paint scheme. It's basically a two tone Federal Grey and Federal Yellow, with black and yellow striping. The line between the two colours was my main concern because I was worrying about paint leaching under the masking tape. However, others on the site provide, as usual, really valuable advice, which I followed to the letter. And it's worked, except in couple of places where the tape lifted a bit. With help from a friend, I temporarily assembled the wings to the fuselage to finally set the closing ribs and line up the flaperon spar cutout with the turtle deck - used the inboard hangers from each flaperon and a broom handle to line it up. While at it, I decided to spray the cockpit tubes grey because I think the white didn't really fit with the paint scheme. Happy with the final result. I'm now down to an ever shortening list of stuff to finish and the focus now is the cockpit and baggage area. I'm installing a Lycoming YO-233 engine which is heavier than the Rotax so I'm waiting to do a preliminary weight and balance before deciding on how far aft the battery needs to be positioned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Love the paint scheme David!
    Always liked the grey and yellow Carbon Cubs, the Kitfox will look fantastic in these colors!
    Its a good feeling to get the painting finished.
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Very nice paint scheme David.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looking nice David, sounds like you are at the punch list stage and getting close. Bruce N199CL

Looks great David! Can't wait to see you flying.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I think it looks great too, David! You’re getting there! The YO-233 should be a good, reliable engine, and about as light as you can get with a Lycoming.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I flew the factory’s 233 Lycoming equipped Kitfox with John McB. after the radial was removed from that aircraft. It performed pretty well. It was the carbureted version.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks guys, comments appreciated. You do all this work to get to the stage of painting and then, at least in my case, you agonise over colours because that's what people see, and don't see all the real work underlying that. But similar to Brian's paint scheme, the grey and yellow, or orange, go well together. That striping took, literally hours to mask off for a matter of minutes spray painting. I can now understand why it costs heaps for stripes or other similar markings ... and the Lycoming O-233 (mine is carburettor too Steve) should give enough grunt. Ben has the injected version so will be interesting to see how fuel consumptions compare. But yep, the list gets shorter each day ...
    David
    SS7 Builder