Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoenshell's Build

Default Re: Hoenshell's Build

Tha aluminium spring in conjunction with a pneumatic tail wheel is great on blacktop, but is way too stiff for anything else.Also a ground loop with the maule tail wheel and this tall Spring WILL do damage.Matco make a great tail wheel!

I have that spring and an 8” pneumatic Matco tailwheel. It works well for me. I fly mostly turf strips.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Paul, Do you have the one piece aluminum or steel spring?
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

The Manual says, "The Horizontal Stabilizer can be as much as 3 degrees to 3.5 negative compared to the datum (the front is lower than the rear.) Our Speedster demonstrator flies best with the leading edge of the Horizontal Stabilizer as high as possible in the slot."

My top hole measures 2.2 and 5 on the bottom hole with this electronic level. Is this normal? Should I set it to the top slot?
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Hoenshell View Post
    The Manual says, "The Horizontal Stabilizer can be as much as 3 degrees to 3.5 negative compared to the datum (the front is lower than the rear.) Our Speedster demonstrator flies best with the leading edge of the Horizontal Stabilizer as high as possible in the slot."

My top hole measures 2.2 and 5 on the bottom hole with this electronic level. Is this normal? Should I set it to the top slot?
    This was the talk during my first IV build - "As high as possible". On that airplane I actually cut out a semicircular notch on the top of the tab to get it really as high as possible. Never adjusted it in its 9 years and 900 hours. The current IV was built without the notch and I perceive no difference, but the tab is still in touch with the lower rudder tube.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

My leading edge tab is in the top hole and I still need some down trim on the elevator.

It’s the one piece Grove aluminum spring. With a solid Maule tailwheel it was pretty stiff, but the pneumatic wheel smooths it down nicely.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I've ordered a Matco 8" pneumatic tire and 3 leaf steel spring for the tail wheel. As far as painting goes, I'm mostly going to be painting the steel tube frame, cowl, wing tips, aluminum panel, landing gear all same color of matte grey. I'm not going to be doing much painting of grey on the fabric. Should I get something different than Poly-Fiber paint to paint these parts since it would be easier and probably less money? What are you guys doing? Using all Poly-Tone paint or something different for other than fabric painting. I don't think any painting of grey on my fabric will do will have to match exactly if my only reason is to match colors.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

If your new paint will be against areas that you are covering with the poly fiber system, it is best if it's epoxy paint. Regular paint can get dissolved by the solvents in the poly fiber chemicals. JImChuk

High quality urethane paint won’t be damaged by the solvents either.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3