Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Hoenshell's Build

Default Re: Hoenshell's Build

I got a couple of camlocs installed on my bottom smooth cowling; although, starboard and port bottom forward camlocs have a 1/4" gap between the fuselage tab and the cowling. I can easily push the cowling in to close the gap, but concerned if I should "warp" the cowling that much to attach? Any thoughts?
    IMG-0515.jpg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

I used 1/2 inch aluminum c-channel to space the receptacle out. C-channel is riveted to the tab and the camloc sits in the c-channel. You could really use whatever spacers you needed with longer rivets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After quite a bit of time spent on modifying my top cowling to make it fit around the prop flange, I finally got it clecoed to the bottom cowling. The top cowling pulls away from the door frame quite a bit on the co-pilot's side. The second image is of the pilots side. Has anyone else had a problem like this and any thoughts on how to fix?

IMG-1371.jpgIMG-1372.jpgIMG-1367.jpg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

I lucked out on my build. I did all my fitting without the windshield installed. Having said that, I would highly recommend you clamp your windshield in place. It may square up your boot cowl and take out some slack. When I put my windshield in place I noticed that it was only luck that caused it to fit so well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I can understand how the windshield will push the cowling out and to the curvature of the windshield although, I have my doubts that it will be enough. The top cowling is pretty rigid and I can push it out at the center/top and it does pull the sides in a little. If I push on the top cowling to mimic the pressure the windshield should put on it...I had to push pretty hard to insert this piece of wood and the results are pictured below. It comes in a little, but not very much and definitely not completely. There has to be some amount force applied directly to the side/corner. My thought is making a metal lip welded onto the front door post in order to capture the top cowling and pull it into and snug with the door post?
    IMG-1402.jpg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Just read thru your thread, nice IV. That cowl looks like a job. I'm not looking forward to wrestling mine...

I see your just a few hours north of me here in Webb City. Chase Balcom has a 5 that's flying and is a few hours to the east of me south of Rolla.

Some good times flying are in store for us. All the best.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades