Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hoenshell's Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Hoenshell's Build

So I'm working on getting the MIV Bush Gear, 22" Dresser Tundra tires with Grove Wheels and Brakes. That should pretty much take care of the front gear, but what about the back end? This is what I have now. I think I need to upgrade to a pneumatic tire at minimum, but anyone know if this spring is alright? It was an aluminum tailspring upgrade from Kitfox back in the 1999. Do I need to upgrade this whole tailwheel setup?

Tha aluminium spring in conjunction with a pneumatic tail wheel is great on blacktop, but is way too stiff for anything else.Also a ground loop with the maule tail wheel and this tall Spring WILL do damage.Matco make a great tail wheel!

I have that spring and an 8” pneumatic Matco tailwheel. It works well for me. I fly mostly turf strips.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Paul, Do you have the one piece aluminum or steel spring?
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

It’s the one piece Grove aluminum spring. With a solid Maule tailwheel it was pretty stiff, but the pneumatic wheel smooths it down nicely.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I've ordered a Matco 8" pneumatic tire and 3 leaf steel spring for the tail wheel. As far as painting goes, I'm mostly going to be painting the steel tube frame, cowl, wing tips, aluminum panel, landing gear all same color of matte grey. I'm not going to be doing much painting of grey on the fabric. Should I get something different than Poly-Fiber paint to paint these parts since it would be easier and probably less money? What are you guys doing? Using all Poly-Tone paint or something different for other than fabric painting. I don't think any painting of grey on my fabric will do will have to match exactly if my only reason is to match colors.
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

If your new paint will be against areas that you are covering with the poly fiber system, it is best if it's epoxy paint. Regular paint can get dissolved by the solvents in the poly fiber chemicals. JImChuk