Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Aus S7 Kitfox

Default Re: Aus S7 Kitfox

image.jpg

Finished fitting the turtle deck today which was the last job on the list before I take the wings off and start covering the fuselage...!
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Looks great Ben! How about a close up of those flash looking cuffs!?

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Well after getting married and spending 3 weeks holidaying in Tasmania (Australia's island state south of the mainland) it was time to get back to the kitfox and start covering the fuselage.
    I was a little concerned about the turtle deck skin but managed to get it done in one pice. On to the reinforcing tapes, cover the rudder and that's the fabric finished
    image.jpg
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

G'day Ben,

First, congratulations and hope you are both enjoying married life! The Tassie trip sounded great and you will have seen every part of it no doubt in three weeks!!!

Great to see you are back into the covering now although it was a bit hard to see as the photos were a little small. Maybe posting them as individual ones will make it clearer - I know your work will be worth looking at!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Is it advantageous to rig the wings and fit the turtle deck before covering the fuselage?

I would want to rig the wings before fuse cover. Rigging usually involves putting the wings on and off a couple of times and in my case had to be done outdoors since my garage wasn't big enough. No big deal, but once you start covering you kind of get on a roll and its nice to keep at it until all is done.

I think the turtle deck fitting can be done most any time, but the wings must be on in order to fit the flaperon control arm slots.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hey Ross,
    Yes we saw most of Tassie and its airfields of course, I think it will be on the list of places to visit in the kitfox!
    Enjoyed your pics of Holbrook!
    Not sure what happened with my photos, they seem to have shrunk when I up loaded them... Your right thou, I might have to go individually. I'll take some more tomorrow.

Easer, I agree with Jim, I had my wings on and off twice.
    I even went to the point of fitting the windscreen doors and turtle deck before fabric so all I have to do is assemble it later and not risk damaging the freshly painted fabric.
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Josh - If you are still coming Melbourne some time we will try and go see Ben's build too. It is a work of art! I think two might also be the youngest builders on this site!

Holbrook was ok Ben - nothing too interesting though I learned of a Model 4 in one the hangers that has sat there unused for many years - interesting. nice weather though.

cheers
    r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

hey Ross the trip has been postponed indefeinately (I'm back up north for work).

I probably will cover first then fit those things as I am only In a two car garage. I was hoping to get all the covering done months ago but real life keeps getting in the way. I turn 29 this August so hopefully she flies before my 30th birthday.

Shame about the trip but good to hear you have a timeline in place now - kI reckon Ben might just pip you to finish line - but like you, work keeps getting in the way!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ