Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Maybe not the cheapest option, but you could have an oil cooler made I would think.

Does Clark have a build thread?

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Will do, Clark. How's the Super Stol coming?
    Not as fast as I would like, that's what happens when you start adding things or making modifications. Anyway, getting close to covering. Changed my mind and have decided on Oratex covering, should be fun. I picked up a 2010 Yamaha Apex sled about 8 weeks ago. It runs great and only has 600 miles on it. I will be sending the engine to Thomas for a complete rebuild with upgraded parts and a turbo. Looking forward to mounting that engine.

Clark

I don't have a water temp gauge. Roger Lee, the Rotax guru out of Tucson seems to think one isn't required, as the temps should track CHTs pretty well. I may anyway, as the Rotax manual says you should have one if running conventional coolant. That said, my CHTs are well in check. I don't think they've had time to get too hot, since I push over into cruise climb to control the oil temp, so as it is, I have room to trade some heat between the oil and the coolant by either adding some oil cooler area (reducing effective radiator area), or by adding a heat exchanger as Thomas did.

When you look at it holistically, your engine is going to make a lot of heat when you demand a lot of performance, and at some point your ability to cool it reaches the limits of what you can carry away with the air going through your cowl, as ultimately that's where you reject all the heat. Based on my very small data set, I would probably go with a slightly larger oil cooler. But just to be clear, I'm not convinced that I actually have any problem that requires addressing, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend you go making changes to your setup based on my 7 hours of flight testing with a different set of input parameters. I make a lot of power at an altitude where there's not much air to carry away the associated heat. If I can mitigate that by reducing my amazing performance to merely awesome performance a couple months out of the year, I'm good with that.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Clark in AZ View Post
    Not as fast as I would like, that's what happens when you start adding things or making modifications. Anyway, getting close to covering. Changed my mind and have decided on Oratex covering, should be fun. I picked up a 2010 Yamaha Apex sled about 8 weeks ago. It runs great and only has 600 miles on it. I will be sending the engine to Thomas for a complete rebuild with upgraded parts and a turbo. Looking forward to mounting that engine.

Clark
    Nice! Thomas is great to work with. I know that engine is sort of a new product for them, but you can be confident he'll work with you on addressing any issues if they should arise.

I don't imagine that engine is worth much in the sled in Cave Creek.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yeah, Thomas is working on Steve Henry's Apex now, 300hp, Fuel Injected, and Turbo'd. I think he is putting the finishing touches on it now. Should be interesting to hear Steve's flight reports once he gets it installed in his new Highlander. He is great to work with, I can't wait to send it off.

Funny, I had to go to Santa Fe to pick up the sled. That was the closest one I could find. Flew into ABQ and rented a Penske truck, drove up to SF and picked it up, drove back to CC. Not too bad of a trip, all in one day.

300 HP in a plane that size is nuts. With what my plane does on less than half that, it's difficult for me to imagine. Are you having yours built to the same spec?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

No, I going for reliability, mine is 150hp Fuel Injected as it is in the sled, I'm adding a turbo. I should get maybe 160-170hp for takeoff. 150 continuous. He will be beefing up the internals same as the 300hp though. So, it should run forever.

Steve, on the other hand, is building for competition. Totally different animal. He will run Nitrous too. He competes in the Stol Drags, Valdez, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I don't have a water temp gauge. Roger Lee, the Rotax guru out of Tucson seems to think one isn't required, as the temps should track CHTs pretty well. I may anyway, as the Rotax manual says you should have one if running conventional coolant. That said, my CHTs are well in check. I don't think they've had time to get too hot, since I push over into cruise climb to control the oil temp, so as it is, I have room to trade some heat between the oil and the coolant by either adding some oil cooler area (reducing effective radiator area), or by adding a heat exchanger as Thomas did.

When you look at it holistically, your engine is going to make a lot of heat when you demand a lot of performance, and at some point your ability to cool it reaches the limits of what you can carry away with the air going through your cowl, as ultimately that's where you reject all the heat. Based on my very small data set, I would probably go with a slightly larger oil cooler. But just to be clear, I'm not convinced that I actually have any problem that requires addressing, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend you go making changes to your setup based on my 7 hours of flight testing with a different set of input parameters. I make a lot of power at an altitude where there's not much air to carry away the associated heat. If I can mitigate that by reducing my amazing performance to merely awesome performance a couple months out of the year, I'm good with that.
    Thanks Brian. Just got off the phone with Thomas and we discussed oil cooling. So we are running the 50-915-7612 cooler which is slightly bigger. They sell the 50-925-7612 which is a full 6" tall. It would fit but need to mod the Naca. Thomas says he thinks, based on what he saw, we would see the biggest decrease in oil temps by running water to oil heat ex-changer like he did. I think that is the route we are going to go. He said he saw a drop of about 40degrees and only a slight rise in the water temp. The one he ran was very small and they are pretty effective at cooling oil.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Very cool Dustin (no pun intended.) Maybe this is a dumb question, but does he run the heat exchanger in addtion to, or in lieu of the oil cooler? Also, as you get around to that, I'd love to see some pics of how/where you mount/install. Which model heat exchanger? Have you priced them out yet? I'm guessing a few hundred bucks?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    ...Does Clark have a build thread?
    I didn't start out with one but have thrown together a blog, a collection of my thoughts as I progress. It's really not great, but it gives me a place to put all my pics. I'm updating it as I go with older content and pics too. Hope to get everything back to day one posted eventually. I've not advertised this at all, but since you asked...

https://superstol512.blogspot.com/

Clark