Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Looks Fantastic Brian! And a nice weight to come in at.
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Default Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Strut fairings are on and struts are ready for paint.

Did you sand the ridges out of fairing material? What did you use to sand them off and do you think its a good idea to do, or are you glad you sanded them down?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I sanded the smaller grooves out of the fairings using and orbital sander, but it still took a lot of sanding. I never did get the one deepest groove to disappear because it seemed to me that the material would get too thin. At least it looks much better without all those other grooves, and the one left is quite shallow after all that sanding.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I did the same as Jim. Sanded the ridges out with an orbital sander. It was a ton of work, but I'm glad I did it, It's a much cleaner look.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I made quick work of it with a belt sander and 60 grit. Too bad we have to deal with such an obsolete and time consuming fairing method.

Thanks! What’d did you do around the jury strut attachment point? I would like to clean up and smooth around it with maybe hysol and super fil, just can’t decide the best timing? I dont want it to crack out as I am installing jury struts. I am thinking after I paint struts and have jury struts installed I then fill with super fil and paint just that area?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I just drilled/filed a rounded square hole for the Jury strut brackets. I made it a little oversized so the bracket could rotate a little bit when fitting the jury struts. I did not fair the hole to the bracket with anything. If you did, you'd want to fair it while the wing is installed, and then you'd either have to paint it with the wings on, or remove your wings to paint the struts. I'd be concerned about the fairing material cracking over time. Not worth it, IMO, unless you're trying to build a show plane.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I just drilled/filed a rounded square hole for the Jury strut brackets. I made it a little oversized so Yes all good points. Ha... defiantly not a show plane. That is what I have done, they just seem to stand out but I guess they will look better once the struts are painted. Thanks!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Super fill has already started falling out of my Jury Strut holes.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I filled/filleted the jury strut holes with white silicone caulk (my fairings are painted white) to seal them and improve the look, but yet allowing some flexibility. Other than appearance, there is a more important reason to seal these holes, and that is an open hole will allow small amounts of water to get inside the fairings when flying thru rain showers. This moisture then runs down to the bottom of the fairing but can't get out due to the nice job we all do to SuperFill the bottom end of our fairings. It then just builds up and stays there, possibly eventually causing the critical steel struts to rust-not good. As I remember, Floog got to worrying about this a couple of years ago (before his dunking in the Columbia) and he drilled a small hole in the underside bottom end of his fairings and sure enough, some water ran out.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS