Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Very cool Dustin (no pun intended.) Maybe this is a dumb question, but does he run the heat exchanger in addtion to, or in lieu of the oil cooler? Also, as you get around to that, I'd love to see some pics of how/where you mount/install. Which model heat exchanger? Have you priced them out yet? I'm guessing a few hundred bucks?
    Yes in addition to the oil cooler. He said he tried baffling and had the largest oil cooler that he could fit. He said he was still seeing 250f. So he installed the water to air heat exchanger and the oil temp dropped 40 degrees. The one he used is small like 3” by 4”. Easy to run also. Run oil lines in and out and run water lines, in and out and your done. No air flow is needed. Working on pricing I will post when I figure it out.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Pretty nasty exhaust leak at this slip joint. I need some exhaust tools to get it fixed, so no flying for me this weekend. I'm behind where I was hoping to be with Phase I. Right now I'm still hoping to make it to the fly-in in Idaho Falls.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

That does look nasty. Good decision to fix before flight. You should have time to complete Phase 1 before mid August.

Ralph

Is that a quality control issue for Thomas? Was it done incorrectly or just a defect?

Clark

After disassembly, the joint is very loose. I am no expert, but an overhauled engine should perform as new, and this engine has has a few minor squawks. Thomas knows about this leak, and has been very helpful in telling me what I need to do to fix it, and has offered to send me a brand new exhaust system if I can't get it straightened out quickly.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I agree. Good to hear he is being helpful and willing to get you a new exhaust.

Clark

Awe crap. Don't read my latest post in my thread Brian. You'll see.
    Hope this stuff gets resolved easily so you can get on with it. Good luck.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm thrilled for you Eddie. My frustrations do not detract from your successes. Congratulations on finishing up.

I'm sure it will get resolved. I just hope it's relatively quick and easy and does not involve waiting on an exhaust to ship from Norway.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Vortex Generators

Installed STOLspeed vortex generators at about 2" aft of the leading edge, measured along the chord. Spacing was per STOLspeed's Instructions. I dropped 6 mph from my power off stall speed, and about 4 mph from my cruise speed. Cruise was 129 mph at 30" MAP and 5200 RPM, 10k density altitude. Now 125. Stall characteristics still benign.

I do have to relearn how to land it. I can approach much slower, with a steeper glidepath, but the roundout and flare require better timing because the sink rate is higher. I've had a couple touchdowns firmer than expected. Not planning on shock monster gear, but if I had them and big tires, I think these landings would be very satisfying. The next thing is an elevator gap seal to give me a little more elevator authority to arrest that descent in the flare.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Sounds like a worthwhile mod. 6mph reduction is impressive. Let us know what you find with the elevator gap seal. I didn't notice any improvement myself. Alex Di Sessa did a pretty detailed test in his youtube videos on the gap seal. If you haven't seen it, check it out. His findings were lackluster as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X