Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: aviator79's build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: aviator79's build

I'm thrilled for you Eddie. My frustrations do not detract from your successes. Congratulations on finishing up.

I'm sure it will get resolved. I just hope it's relatively quick and easy and does not involve waiting on an exhaust to ship from Norway.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Vortex Generators

Installed STOLspeed vortex generators at about 2" aft of the leading edge, measured along the chord. Spacing was per STOLspeed's Instructions. I dropped 6 mph from my power off stall speed, and about 4 mph from my cruise speed. Cruise was 129 mph at 30" MAP and 5200 RPM, 10k density altitude. Now 125. Stall characteristics still benign.

I do have to relearn how to land it. I can approach much slower, with a steeper glidepath, but the roundout and flare require better timing because the sink rate is higher. I've had a couple touchdowns firmer than expected. Not planning on shock monster gear, but if I had them and big tires, I think these landings would be very satisfying. The next thing is an elevator gap seal to give me a little more elevator authority to arrest that descent in the flare.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS