Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

As for the top or bottom of wing first, I don't know how you would accomplish putting the metal pieces at the lift strut brackets if you put the top on first.
    You can use waxed string to secure stuff if you were a scout or Navy guy who can tie knots that won't come loose. I was neither.
    Your access cover is about like mine. I used a edge bender to put a slight angle around the entire piece and it comes out flush against the fabric. Looks nice. Not necessary.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I installed my plates like I did inspection rings. I bonded to the fabric and then covered with another piece of fabric. So you could do the top first
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Geeze, much easier than I thought.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Top is covered last because the required wrap around the leading edge. The top covering has more loads on it in flight trying to pull it away from the wing. The directions are based on the STC which proved the engineered strength of the process for Stits Poly Fiber covering.

Ralph

Haven't made much progress since the last post. Turns out I had two cans of PolySpray in stock not PolyBrush, so wing covering has been put on hold.

I've been tidying up loose ends here and there, but my list of items I can accomplish prior to covering is getting quite short. If there's anything I can tick of that I haven't yet please let me know!

I did some work on my panel layout and always fully open to feedback. I think I've decided on the gtx200b com for budget reasons as well as I like having the physical panel. If I want to upgrade down the road to two comms, I will and the cost will be a wash. Also I've tried to think ahead to what I may add in the future and have my layout accommodate for this. You can see my "future" layout on the bottom which includes: autopilot panel, G5, vents(if we decide that we need them), CS prop control, and Ipad panel mount. The top image is how I think the panel will be at first. Let me know if I missed anything or if my layout doesn't make sense from a workflow/usability stand point. The PDF file has clear component labels.
    Panel v3 GLOVEBOX.PDF
    Panel v3 GLOVEBOX.jpg

Also i've drawn up a new paint scheme. I was a bit concerned with the visibility of the blue and white. This one took a lot of iterations but I'm really happy with it now and I like that its a bit more interesting (and likely more difficult/expensive). I'm no artist, but I did attempt a Procreate 3D image, with zero practice.
    IMG_1083.jpg57319628851__0956D928-2BE4-4F0A-B822-688D1D7BD469.jpg57319628851__0956D928-2BE4-4F0A-B822-688D1D7BD46933.jpg

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Love the panel and the paint scheme. The panel is clean and leaves room for upgrades. The scheme incorporates some of my favorite design elements. When you paint the wings, consider how the black inboard taper will meet the tutledeck strakes. I would try to make that paint line meet the trailing edge at the inboard flaperon hinge at the same angle as the strake makes with the fuselage. The green speedster did this nicely. My original scheme idea was blue and white too. If you're concerned about visibility, I might go yellow instead of blue on the wing. I would even consider yellow on top and blue on the bottom, but I'm not sure how that would look, or how to maintain visual continuity with the flaperons. The top of your wing is what people are likely to pick out in the pattern, or when looking for your plane in a SAR situation. Just my $.02; It looks great.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Hey Joe - That Paint is great! And that cool black tail triggered a memory from back in the day... Try bringing a little of that yellow onto the tail as well and see how it looks. Just my 2c worth.

f14 pic jolly roger.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Brett I like it! Did you take that?

Lol. No, I didn't take it. Google search has tons of images.

Here's a few more. Great bunch of guys... The best of the best.

In the film "Executive Decision", the F-14 Tomcats from Jolly Rogers
    were the ones that intercepted the hijacked "Flight 343"

That's why when I saw your black tail it was like deja-vue!

I was in a S3A/B Viking squadrons for 22 years. Avionics.

f-14 landing.jpgha5204_f-14b_jolly_rgers_tomcat_vf-103_final_tomcat_cruise_hobby_master_72_scale_die_cast.jpgjolly roger tomcat.jpg
    Last edited by bbs428; 03-06-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

doh! Should have caught that!