Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

I like your panel layout. Very clean.
    Mine is quiet similar layout with a G3X and glove box with a built in docking station in the door for an android
    or I-pad. I'll be going with a separate control heads for the auto pilot and Com, the GMC 507 and
    GTR 200B.

I still cannot decide if I want to paint and engrave/enamel the labeling and kitfox logo like Trent did or just wrap
    it with faux carbon fiber vinyl. How about you?
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Wrapping it isn’t a bad idea. Then would you use stickers for labels?

I think I’m going to go with powder coating or anodizing and laser etch or dry transfer labels.

This... is... awesome! I came here to research and here you are doing it!

Mike T

The down side to wrapping it that I see is its going to be harder to label it and the faux wrap can get damaged fairly easy putting in avionics. I think we are going to powered coat and laser etch for the most durability.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Agreed. Anyone in particular?
    Someone linked these guys not to long ago. Their located in Mulino, OR.

http://www.lms-laser.com/index.php

laser-marking-powder-coated-instrument-panel-1.jpg laser-marking-painted-instrument-panel.jpg
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Agreed. Anyone in particular?
    Someone linked these guys not to long ago. Their located in Mulino, OR.

http://www.lms-laser.com/index.php

laser-marking-powder-coated-instrument-panel-1.jpg laser-marking-painted-instrument-panel.jpg
    Ive been doing some research into both anodizing and etching or powder coating and etching. Im looking to go with a black panel and white lettering. From what I understand with black anodizing this is possible, whereas with powder coating you get a tan color. Can anyone speak to this? Also from my understanding with laser etching you are burning down to the Al underneath, do you need additional corrosion protection on top of the lettering?

Advantage Avionics ( Chino CA )does a beautiful panel that is laser etched. Would cost me about $1000 to get it done. This price included the cutting of the holes for switches and avionics as well I believe.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    Ive been doing some research into both anodizing and etching or powder coating and etching. Im looking to go with a black panel and white lettering. From what I understand with black anodizing this is possible, whereas with powder coating you get a tan color. Can anyone speak to this? Also from my understanding with laser etching you are burning down to the Al underneath, do you need additional corrosion protection on top of the lettering?
    I think the way I want mine done is powered coated, laser etched, then paint wiped in the etching to make it stand out. Just like you do on a gun.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

@JoeRuscito any chance you're willing to share that panel layout? Or at least the blank panel outline? Is it to spec? I have to make my panel from scratch (the old one was pre-cut) and I'm just planning to source locally. Would be awesome to lay everything out so I can just have it all cut at once.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I think the way I want mine done is powered coated, laser etched, then paint wiped in the etching to make it stand out. Just like you do on a gun.
    Oh yeah! I like that idea a lot! I may be able to have it done locally if that works because the laser etcher here said they just burn down to the Al. Can’t wait to see yours!