Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Joe,
    Your list for the G3X looks good. From what I have read you will need the WAAS GPS-20A for the GTX-45 to work for ADSB out.

These are totally preference items:
    I chose the panel mounted GTR-200 radio with the display and knobs. I like having the display and ability to tune, flip-flop frequencies and activate the "monitor" function without having to do it through the G3X display which can involve a lot of button pushing and take you away from other important stuff on the MFD. FYI the monitor function sort of makes it like a second radio, I use it to listen to AWOS without going off the primary frequency.

Also it looks like most of the functions of the GMA-245R are included in the new GTR-200B. You really don't need an audio panel unless you are going to have more than one COM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil, I agree the GTR-200B looks great and I was looking at that option as well. Not sure if I will want a second com but I do like the idea of having a separate panel for the com. I wonder how many go with two radios and how many are happy with just one. Everything Ive flown to date has had two.

For a VFR airplane, I don't perceive much value in a second radio, especially with modern radios that let you monitor the standby frequency, and pull frequencies direct from your map.

Just my $.02.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks Brian, Also it seems with the 200b you cannot use the touch screen to adjust at all... or maybe this too is misinformation.

The answer to why I bought the GTX 345, simple, fewer electrical parts to install and I wanted ADSB in. And, be careful, you may run out of power pins on the Sport Vertical Power. Don't let me scare you though. there seems to be plenty of ways to get around that as well. You just may need to send power to a bus and run two devices off it for example. My 912iS can't be wired through it due to large Amps needed to power the start up. So, you might end up with some circuit breaker someplace you hadn't anticipated. I have.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hey Eddie, yea Ive been told you will need a couple breakers for the engine startup/ignition, Ill have to do a count of my planned circuits and see what I end up with.

Set to cover! Jim came by last night and gave me to green light to cover my wings. Ill be doing some final smoothness checks and installing the magnetometer tonight, then cleaning the shop a bit before laying on the bottom fabric.

To that point the manual seems to go against "cover the top of a high wing first" concept. I know this is only for cosmetics but why is this? Also thoughts on polybrush on the capstrips, manual says yes, poly fiber no.

Here are some photos of my pitot line routing, and some of my tail wire runs. Ive been really enjoying rib lacing. Sorry for the super messy shop and quick photos, but I wanted to post them because seeing how others have done it was extraordinarily helpful to me. The runs are pretty tight so Im pretty sure I have ample roof for vibration and I dont think the lines will contact the rib cut out where I dont already have chafe protection, so I dont believe I need added tycoon tubing.
    IMG_1027.jpgIMG_1028.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1030.jpgIMG_1031.jpg57262355783__3AD4FBAB-BC8F-4BD4-947D-9E2C852856D9.jpg57262483373__43E242B6-3BC3-4694-BAAF-572ABA0BE3AB.jpg

Ive also finished my right side tail access cover. These were quite the tricky project and mine are certainly not perfect. I wish the screws were in a straighter line. One or two slipped while I was drilling with the long bit. Also, for anyone who is drilling the strips these attach to, make sure your holes are not centered on the Al. Mine are so the nut plates dont reach the holes.... Ill have to figure out a solution for this. How close should we trim edges of the cover? Should the bottom edge be tangent to the tubing or is my trimmed enough?
    IMG_1036.jpgIMG_1038.jpg

I rigged my elevator and trim actuator, end stops, set my flaperon mixer angles, and flap handle push rod.

Baggage sack is in a drilled which helped me decide where to secure wire runs from the tail. Fuel sight gauges also primed and installed.
    57261873521__6DAC7619-9C89-4895-9841-694D2A4620E5.jpgIMG_1010.jpg

Next update should include some covered wings!

Looking great Joe!

Plan for more circuits than you count up. I thought I was very thorough in counting my circuits, and still ended up adding a couple to my fuse block, which fortunately had several slots to spare.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle about top/bottom first. After finish tapes and 15 layers of PolyStuff, any cosmetic difference will be completely invisible to anyone but you. If you follow the PolyFiber instructions to the letter, you really can't go wrong. You will lace your ribs, so using any kind of adhesive (PolyBrush or PolyTak) is not necessary. It probably doesn't harm anything either if you're a belt & suspenders kind of guy.

On your pitot runs: I was advised not to use zip ties anywhere that will not be accessible. It might take 20 years, but eventually they will become brittle and break. I used about a half million of them in my fuselage, but I did not use them in the wings. Of course, My nimble body can access the whole fuselage today, but in 20 years, I too will probably become brittle and break. You might consider being strategic about where you use them so that you'll be able to replace them through any inspection/access covers you put in.

Covering the wings was definitely one of my favorite parts of the build. You really feel like you're building a plane at that point. Enjoy!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks Brian. Agreed about the zip ties. I only used them where I know I will have an inspection port, right at the pitot tube. Otherwise, is there a better way to secure the tygon tubing to the Al pitot lines?
    Last edited by JoeRuscito; 02-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.

What came with the Dynon install kit is AN flare nuts, Male AN-to Male NPT fittings, and Female NPT to push-in tube fittings.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS