Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

The thing about all the spraying is that once you're done with it, all the hassle starts to fade into memory. If you're happy with the result, it's time well spent, regardless of what system you used.

You're making awesome progress Joe. If I had to guess, I'd say you're on pace to be flying by the end of the year.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

no moss grows under your feet Joe, can't believe your progress in such a short time, paint job looks great. Bruce N199CL

The polyfibre is a long process but once done, all the work does seem worth it. I’m happy with my decision to stick with it and would do it again if I ever built another project ... which I won’t.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I’ve run into a couple problems in the last few days. First a tank leak (thread in the main forum). And now I have some peeling paint on aluminum. It stated coming off when I was scotch brighting before the yellow top coat on the landing gear brackets. On the inspection port it didn’t come off when prepping for top coat so I sprayed the yellow. After seeing the other chips I did some exploring and the inspection port paint peeled right off.

At the direction of the polyfiber manual I did not etch (because it’s new aluminum) but I did use the conversion coating that aircraft spruce sells. Should I have etched?

My process:

Scotch bright the aluminum
    Acetone to clean
    Wet with conversion coating and let soak for a few minutes
    Rinse with water
    Dry
    Prime

Am I missing anything?

What is the best way to strip the coatings and start again? Sand blast?

Oddly it doesn’t seem to come off the landing gear. And hopefully the flaperon acts the same because it already has topcoat (I didn’t see evidence of poor adherence when prepping for top coat) but I haven’t tested it knowing that there might be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parts are now going on that (hopefully) will not be coming off again! Ive been working on many things but mainly getting the engine hung and plumbed. Ive also been slowly working on the cowls and Ill confirm what others have said, I think they've come on and off about 50 times! I got lucky with the engine mount as it went on with little issue.

IMG_0217.jpgIMG_0225.jpg
    Happy to be mostly done painting except the cowls. I dealt with my aluminum paint issues by using the primer the factory suggested rather than the Polyfiber stuff, its a Valspar DTM primer. I had to strip the Polyfiber primer off the gear mounts and inspection covers. Thankfully the original primer seems to be sticking to the flaperon and gear (so far) but if it starts peeling at some point down the road I will strip and redo.

58299180909__FA8EB3A4-18CE-48E2-A30B-C6B70E1E2ABF.jpg
    Brakes run and chafe sleeves for protection. I do notice that they are slightly tight if both pedals are adjusted to the shortest pilot position and pushed to their extremes. I don't think this will be an issue and overall Im happy with the way they ended up. Ive also swaged my rudder and this turned out well. Im a bit surprised how much friction is in the system, my pedals move freely but when everything is connected its not super smooth, have others noticed this?

IMG_0282.jpgIMG_0283.jpgIMG_0281.jpg
    Engine is in and almost everything is installed on the firewall. Working out grounding. It sounds like most people use a common ground bus and don't use the engine mount/fuselage as a common as the manual describes. I will likely do the same.

IMG_0279.jpgIMG_0259.jpg
    Routing the coolant and oil lines was definitely a challenge. The right side oil line and coolant line Im happy with, but I do need to figure out a good way to prevent chafing where the hoses cross. Any suggestions? It has to be heat proof of course in this position. The left side coolant line I still haven't finished because Im not sure I love the routing. I know others have gone between the ring mount and exhaust. I currently have it on the other side of the header. While it is closer to the head it seems less likely to chafe. I will just need good heat shielding (no more so than the other side). Something to note: The manual calls for hose clamps on all of the oil lines even though they are push lock hoses and fittings. I did put in a couple calls to Parker to get some clarification and they did say if a hose clamp was added and tightened too much you could damage the seal. I plan to still use clamps but tighten them very gently because they are likely not needed.

IMG_0290.jpgIMG_0289.jpgIMG_0291.jpg
    Im now working on the fuel lines. These are a bit unwieldy for me and they are not nearly as pretty/neat as some of the work I've seen you all do. I may have also went a bit over board on the antichafe and securing to the frame but these things vibrating and cracking doesn't give me the warm and fussies so better safe than sorry. I found it difficult to bend it into the right shape without having to do some secondary bending which the manual specifically advises against. So in some cases that meant adding another bend to adjust the position. Also I had to redo one whole run after forgetting the sleeve and flaring the end.... dont do that!

As always open to feedback/comments/advise. So happy to have this forum as a resource as I have no idea what Im doing! I dont know how I could build this thing without.

Avionics should be arriving in a couple weeks and Im looking forward to getting started on some wiring. See y'all at Oshkosh!

Hey there, Joe. Wow! You are really cranking the work out. It looks fantastic. Your fall completion goal seems attainable. Keep it up, can’t wait for your first flight. We’ll have to meet up at Oshkosh.

Looking good! Making good progress!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

You will love the 912is, but there is a little bit of a learning curve. Make sure you get the grounds figured out while installing because the diagram I had when doing mine last year was not correct showing the isolated ground actually going to the main ground. I think they fixed it. The engine area temp probe can go pretty much any where in the cowling that is away from the main heat sources. When starting I figured one fuel pump would flush any air out of the system, but it doesn't. Found this out with a very difficult start and the guys here helped me diagnose it. Run both pumps for at least 10 seconds and you will hear the air being flushed out. Then go to one for the start. Make sure you go slow on the lane checks giving the lights plenty of time to go out and back on. I was told you don't need to do the lane checks, but I do one each day at least. I have the Airmaster prop and it is great. I go to climb at about 100ft and then pull the power back slowly to about 95 - 96 percent to get the burn down to around 4.5gph. You'll love it.
    Bob

Thanks for the tips Bob and I’ll keep an eye out for that incorrect ground. I’m getting excited to start this thing. Have a month or so before that though. Do you have any pictures of your engine? Left right, front top? I’ve only found a couple 912is install pictures to reference. It’s always helpful to see how others have routed things. Also I’m considering mounting my ECU on the firewall in the engine compartment as they do with the 915 (I believe it’s the same unit), the Rotax manual says this is acceptable. Did you mount yours as the kitfox manual suggests, in the cockpit, on the avionics trays?

I mounted mine like the Kitfox manual suggested. I went with a fold down instrument panel so I can always have access. My whole build is on mykitlog.com/rtc183. Lots of pics and descriptions. Let me know if you want more.
    Bob