Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Still lots more tasks to come! I’m getting excited though!

Ill tell you as others have said the G3X system was pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it. And garmin technical support is exceptional! And when you’re done wiring they’ve made configuration so user friendly you barely need the manual. Really a well designed system imho.

Default Re: covering wings

Hello to everyone,I have been lurking for 12 years and finally picked up a great K5 project. I am about to cover the wings and have noticed some are scalloped towards the trailing edge and some are flat. I attended an EAA (Brown Field,San Diego) luncheon yesterday and met the chapter leader who showed me his restoration of a Stitts bi-wing.He explained the flat verses scalloped wing was the result of the heat shrinking technique used.My question to this group is : what are the aeronautical advantages to either flat or scalloped wings? Thanks ...Gerry Breid (temecula50)

Default Re: covering wings

Quote Originally Posted by temecula50 View Post
    .My question to this group is : what are the aeronautical advantages to either flat or scalloped wings? Thanks ...Gerry Breid (temecula50)
    There is not any advantage to either. The scalloping just means they have shrunk the fabric more than what is needed.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Is there a small plate under the GA35? Looks like it only has two screws in it now. Will it just sit on top of the baggage sack?

Thanks

No plate. I know its hard to see in the pictures but two adel clamps up front bolted right to the GPS and then two Al tubes with the ends flattened and bent in the back. The tubes are bolted to the GPS and adel clamped to the frame on the other end. Its very rigid. Ill melt holes in the cargo sack and it will sit on top. I didn't see a need for the plate/weight.

First engine run yesterday! Feeling like Im nearing the finish line! Also had my tech adviser out yesterday and he gave the thumbs up on work to date. One minor cable routing suggestion, to get a bit more separation between fuel valve and wire harness. Added a standoff to address. Some pictures of my progress in the last few weeks. Had the wings on briefly to finish the turtle deck and lift struts.
    IMG_1680.jpg59070714436__C9BF2480-0FBA-42CD-87AD-DA9CDCC2402B.jpgIMG_0770.jpgIMG_0773.jpg59037050317__4B25D59D-DD3C-4797-9969-F2FCD1EFE721.jpg

All went well with the engine run except I noticed a steady fuel pressure of 37.8 psi once the engine was running. Before engine start I had a full 43 psi. Im starting with just the main pump turned on and ran the test with only the main pump (not both). Should I be running both? Im using a UMA pressure sensor. Being the first start I briefly brought the power up to 2500 once I confirmed I had oil pressure (to switch lanes) and then ran for 2 mins at 2000 before shutting down. All else was in the green and the system voltage was steady at 14.7.
    Any thoughts on why I might be seeing the low pressure?

Thanks!

Joe

I'm asking for my own knowledge: is the fuel pump supposed to put out a constant pressure or is it controlled by the ECU and after starting it varies the pressure to whatever it requires?

Rick

Rick, that I do not know. I simply know that what I was seeing was below the normal operating min that was called out in the owners manual.

I know its apples to oranges, but for what its worth my fuel PSI drops 5 psi when my engine starts. My fuel pressure ramps up above 2500 rpm.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I’ll check that next time I run. Next run will be at a higher rpm. And I’ll check the other pump this one only went above 2500 for 5-10 seconds