Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Did my weight and balance today. I used heavy duty bathroom scales and it went fairly well, they were all within 1 lbs of each other when I calibrated them. I weighed twice and took the average (they were each off ~+/- 1 lb between tests). My total weight is 836.4 lbs and GC is at 10.4. Once I get up and flying I plan to get it reweighed on some real aviation scales but there are not any I have access to close by. The trickiest part for me was accurately marking the tail wheel position on the floor when it was up on a stand so a plumb bob couldn't be used.

Right Wheel Left Wheel Tail
    Weight #1 385 386.6 65.6 837.2
    Weight #2 384.4 385 66.2 835.6
    Average 384.7 385.8 65.9 836.4

ARM -1.6875 -1.96875 154.0625

I also ran some trail weight and balances for the first time, my take aways were:

-adding or subtracting fuel has very minimal effect on cg. Min 30 min fuel at 7.26 gallons per hour (Rotax 912is) or max fuel only moves the CG a fraction of an inch.
    -even adding passengers has minimal effect
    -cargo has of course the largest effect
    -with full fuel and two 190 lbs passengers and 150 lbs of baggage I am still 25 lbs under 1550 but my cg is behind 16 (@16.62) which means I will only be able to carry 120 lbs cargo in that configuration. And considering subtracting fuel has little effect that seems to be my max cargo weight. Does this make sense?

Excuse my novice understanding, but it seems the stol guys are always trying to get the CG farther back. This doesn't seem very difficult so why is it such a topic of concern. What does seem difficult is to get an empty CG forward enough to be able to utilize the full cargo capacity.

Now that I know I'm likely to always be under 1550 Im considering springing for the Airmaster, which would put a bunch of weight on the nose so that my cg moves forward. Thoughts?

Good weight and CG Joe!

The Airmaster will move your CG forward. I have a 914 and Airmaster. My empty weight is 875, and empty CG is 9.7. I can carry full fuel, two grown men, and 150 lbs in the baggage area without exceeding max gross or the aft limit. The downside is that when I'm light and by myself (CG 11.8), it's nose-heavy. I can't trim it hands-off at approach speed despite adjusting the trim actuator rod end to its aft limit. I compensate by throwing 25 lbs in the baggage area (CG 12.7), which gets it *almost* hands off at approach speed. 50 lbs in the baggage area (CG 13.5) makes it even better, but 25 is a good compromise. You do sacrifice some performance adding baggage ballast to dial in your CG.

In my opinion, if you can afford the Airmaster, you should do it. It might give you some more utility with your CG, but that's secondary to getting all the performance out of your engine.

One other thing: On my W&B, I divided the baggage area into three stations (fore, mid, and aft). If you put the heavy stuff in the front of your baggage area, and the lighter stuff in back, it can help you stay forward of the limit.
    Last edited by aviator79; 10-14-2019 at 06:16 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yes, managing the weight distribution in the cargo area helps a lot. I keep my tool kit, tiedowns, etc. crammed right behind the seat and put the lightest stuff in the rear of the cargo area. I like the idea of braking the cargo area into 3 zones to more accurately calculate W&B.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Nice W&B Joe! Your bird looks fantastic. I'll be following along as you get it all sorted. Congratz!!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

First flight went well yesterday!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4aDip2H..._web_copy_link
    (easiest way to get video on here)

Take off was a non-event, did so without flaps to be safe. Once I had the opportunity to test them at altitude I landed with them. My landing was pretty fast but I was layering margin on margin... It took me two tries to get it on the ground. I told myself if I didn't like any aspect of the approach Id go around, the first one I was pretty high and I think that was due to the runway being 150ft wide and much larger thinner stuff I trained on with S&R. On the second one I was still fast but worked it in and the landing was nice and smooth.

The plane performed as expected. I have a slightly heavy left wing which it sounds like it is pretty common. I also noticed that with full nose up trim I still needed a lot of back pressure on the stick with full flaps. Im wondering if its standard to adjust the throw of the elevator jack screw to give me more nose up trim ability?

Id like to get the trim adjusted as that was the most distracting aspect of the approach, I don't think I will adjust the left wing drop before the next flight because it was so slight I want to feel it out a bit more and make sure it is not a flaperon rigging change vs a wing twist change. Open to feedback here.

Im really looking forward to the next flight when I can absorb a bit more and dial in my approach a bit.

Awesome Joe! Congrats!!

For the elevator, what is your weight and balance? I needed to relocate weight to get it to feel good. The more weight in the rear the better. For stol stuff I add 10lbs in the tail and it feels WAY better. Do you have te spring assist?

For the heavy wing, next time you fly try a little right rudder and see how that feels before you change rigging.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh, my test flight CG was right around 12.5. And no I do not have the trim assist. I will try the right rudder on next flight. I do want to get the elevator a bit lighter though be for the next one. I take it is not normal to adjust the position of the trim jack screw connection?

Great job! It’s quite the accomplishment! I need lots of back elevator pressure on landing also. I don't have the spring assist and prefer the elevator to be heavy as the aircraft I fly for my job is heavy on the elevator so its a good transfer. If its light on the elevator I have a tendency to over control. My weights and CG are pretty much the same as Brian's.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 11-03-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yes Joe, it IS quite common to adjust the trim jackscrew for max nose up trim. It is easy to do and still leaves you with plenty of nose down trim. Even after adjusting for max nose up trim you will still need some stick backpressure with full flaps. All backpressure can be trimmed out with 1/2 flaps. I also have the trim assist spring. My comments are for the SS7.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Second and third flight in the books....

Ive ordered a trim assist and Ive also moved my trim rod end in 2.5 turns. This certainly helped but I still have LOTS of back pressure required when using full flaps. My last landing I only used half flaps and this felt MUCH better, similar to what S&R full flaps felt like. Ive also been reading some of the posts about the trim assist and the possibility of tail plane stall with full flaps. Id like to know as much as there is to know about this and will continue reading. For now I will stick to half flaps.

I still have a heavy left wing, and right rudder does pick it up but also puts me in a skidding right turn. IS the heavy left wing common only because in testing we are solo and sitting on the left? Or should this be adjusted?

Lastly, I attempted a power on stall, with no intention of stalling, just to feel the buffet and I got some pretty strong, vibrations/buffeting on the stick so I aborted, is this normal? I did not remember this with S&R. I was concerned about the tail plane stall. Power off buffet starts to happen around 39 mph. And is very gentle.

Other than the above Im loving it! The second flight was a world difference than the first. The third was really enjoyable! Next I need to adjust my prop. At 5500 RPM Im seeing pretty low indicated speeds, around 95-99 mph. Im thinking its because Im set up with a climb prop at a static RPM of 5200-5300.

Also Dorsal's dynavibe came in today so I will work on getting that done so I can send it to the next guy. Ill will do my best to get to it this weekend.