Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    I could use vinyl tape for all of the white pinstripe lines and avoid all of the associated masking and need for white ran-thane that comes with those two white lines.
    Also I have some questions around my “paint booth” but I will post in the main forum as I think it’s more relevant there.
    I tried to paint my pinstriping. I could not get a clean line, and wasn't happy with it. I switched to a 3M pinstriping tape, and it was so much easier.

I know better now how to get clean lines with the tape, and I think if you did a really pro job painting the pinstripes, it would look amazing up close. But for an amateur like me, the vinyl tape is the way to go; I'd highly recommend it. The stripes really make your scheme pop.

Last edited by aviator79; 04-01-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I tried to paint my pinstriping. I could not get a clean line, and wasn't happy with it. I switched to a 3M pinstriping tape, and it was so much easier.

I know better now how to get clean lines with the tape, and I think if you did a really pro job painting the pinstripes, it would look amazing up close. But for an amateur like me, the vinyl tape is the way to go; I'd highly recommend it. The stripes really make your scheme pop.

Thanks. Yea I’m certainly an amateur and need to bend the odds in my favor anyway I can! your paint scheme really does look great! And your right the white pinstripes make it!

Really looking great!

Good looking wings Joe! The 3m pin-stripping was definitely the way to go. Good choice!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Painting painting painting. It feels like the progress has SLOOOOWED. I have a paint booth that works (Read not perfect). Its in my garage and the exhaust leaves the garage through two ducts.
    57714583323__459F16FC-AA85-4000-88D8-53A1014C5D38.jpgIMG_1432.jpgScreen Shot 2019-05-02 at 5.21.00 PM.jpg57688410184__B52D23A9-0C41-450D-8387-B2B177A12FC5.jpg

I have gotten the wings all the way up to UV and one coat of white on one wing. The spraying has been easy but the moving things around in the garage is a trick and balancing weather and efficiency of moving parts/waiting for paint to dry has been a challenge! Id like to be covering my fuselage at this point but I do not have room so the plan is to get both wings painted through top coat and then move them out of the garage.
    57807993853__96650F12-F314-43A7-8F21-B2A3EC6056F1.jpgIMG_1453.jpgIMG_1402.jpg
    My wings are certainly not perfect, the biggest defects are specs of paint/glue etc... I sanded with 400 but was timid to go aggressive and cut the fabric. Im happy with them but perfect they are not! Also I keep finding the occasional pin hole crater that I somehow missed...at this point they are staying and I won't tell anyone where they are ;-)

Still deciding on the wing color but yellow and blue paint will be here Friday so I will be painting this weekend. Mainly deciding between yellow or blue wings. I like the blue but concerned about visibility.... I know yellow will be best for that. Where's the best source for the vinyl tape? Also any tricks/tips for masking for colors? Order of colors?

Something to point out so others don't make the same mistake. I realized I put my front lift strut reinforcements in on the wrong side! The manual is a bit deceiving and I thought I had put them in correctly according to the picture... well I didn't... after talking with the factory I peeled back the reinforcement and added this pate I made in addition to the one on the wrong side.
    IMG_1347.jpg

In other new my engine and firewall kit are here and waiting!

Good progress Joe. You’ll be making great Kitfox flying videos soon.👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looks like you are doing a very nice job, Joe. You may think you have slowed down, but when compared to what you showed me back a couple months ago, I’d say you are really getting it done. Build on!

Hi Joe,

could you please confirm whether the elevator horn is originally straight (90deg to surface) or angled?
    You maybe know that I´m rebuilding a Mod. IV with some `issues` at the moment...

Thanks!
    Marc
    7896.jpg
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

Joe, I got a good tip from a pro painter for sharp trim lines . After placing your mask tape and running a fingernail along the edge I would use my hobby spray rig to shoot the edge of the tape with the BASE COLOR first, before using my HVLP gun to shoot the trim color. The idea here is that it is very difficult to seal the mask tape perfectly ,so by shooting the base color along the tape's edge it will fill those little voids that would have allowed the trim color to sneak under the mask and give that ragged trim edge when not accomplishing this step first. Even though it was an extra step in the painting process, I found it was much better to take the time and do it, rather than being totally disappointed when pulling the mask and finding that ugly ragged trim edge. This technique yielded nice crisp lines that I was happy with. Bruce N199CL

That tape tip is super helpful! Thank you! Also Marc I will check ASAP... I think its square from memory/eyeballing.

Im wavering a bit on my wing design/color still....Any opinions?
    Untitled_Artwork-1.jpg