Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    @JoeRuscito any chance you're willing to share that panel layout? Or at least the blank panel outline? Is it to spec? I have to make my panel from scratch (the old one was pre-cut) and I'm just planning to source locally. Would be awesome to lay everything out so I can just have it all cut at once.
    Id be happy to share but it’s not perfect it’s just close enough. I’m going to locate everything off one of the corners so the curve doesn’t matter as much. I simply took as straight on photo as I could then imported to solidworks and spline traced the curve.

Damn I’m slacking! I can barely keep up with the forum, hats off to all of you making videos!

Lots of delays this month waiting for thing in addition I lost a weekend to my sisters wedding.

I have the wings covered and rib stitched, waiting on a few more feet of reinforcement tape for the last rib before polybrush and finish tapes.

Honestly this was fun! And rib stitching was really enjoyable, I don’t know why anyone would skip it, especially considering it’s the beat practice. It took me about 1 hr per rib but that included laying out the marks, pre pinching, tapes, and stitching. I didn’t use a chalk line because I didn’t like how it was working for me.

A note on rib stitching. I measured everything from the top and bottom edge of the leading edge extrusion. I went 2.75 inches back on the top to clear the front spar and then 3 inch spacing centered around the rear spar everywhere else was 2.5 as recommended except I shortened one spacing to land in front of the lower false rib tube. This spacing cleared all internal structure without issue. I did have to make some custom “needles” out of long paper clips to stitch just the top capstrip above the pitot plate and to work between the cross brace tubing.

I’ve started checking off the fuselage covering list and have antennas shipping to drill those holes. Also rechecked my rigging, I’ve been using a digital level I use for Rc helicopter blade setup. Seems to work really well. Been marking every finished bolt with indicator paste.

Butt rib closeouts done. And hysoled, ready for paint.

Static line run and ready.

OAT plate installed and wire run. Trim sensor installed and wire run. And tail strobe wire run.

I also installed a rudder stop on one side as others have done, as my rudder was just barely touching the horizontal. I didn’t need it on the left but I drilled the hole so it’s there if I need it down the road.

And lastly I set up the gas struts on the door when I had the wings installed. I wish they were a bit longer at full throw, because with the position of the fuselage tabs you need to have the top very close to the door hinge to get the doors to open fully but when compressed they don’t go nearly to fully compressed. I think it would be better to have the tabs higher so they could have more leverage on the door and use the full throw. Also, I ended up drilling the brackets twice because I didn’t notice the position I picked on the door frame was on top of the bubble door hole I had drilled. Be careful of this position if you haven’t done this yet!

Whoa! Long post. Hopefully some useful info in there!

Looking great Joe! That's a fun and exciting part of the build. Now you have a wing instead of just a bunch of parts.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Great looking wings Joe.👍 Nice stiching. Always my favorite part of the build, covering. Good progress. Congrats to your sister and new brother-in-law.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Everybody seems to run a foot or two short of rib stitch reinforcing tape. This has been mentioned for years; don't know why the factory doesn't add a couple of feet to the kit-hint, hint.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have extra. I didn't wrap it around either leading edge or trailing edge. I also didn't stitch the number two rib at the edge of the tank. I easily have enough to do those as well though.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Even with a lost weekend your working at a fast pace. My hats off to ya!

I spend way to much time scratching my head, looking for the right parts and hardware. My kit was 20
    years old when I started. A lot of the stickers on the hardware bags have fallen off so it just takes more
    time verifying you got the right stuff, sigh.

I have my RC club opening day in a week so my time has been between finishing an discontinued 83"
    wingspan 55cc Lanier Stinger kit that I started last year and finishing a master bath remodel. ( keeping the Mrs happy)
    My spare time all but evaporated but I'll be back at it with a vengeance in a week or so!

I am at these steps in the build as well so your post is very timely. I appreciate the pic's and the heads
    up about the door placement.

Keep forging ahead Joe!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Post Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Thanks Brett!

Sounds like you got a lot going on! Ive beed doing very little RC flying but the helicopters have always been my thing. Super fun!

The pictures of others builds were always the most helpful for me. Just helps me think it through. Glad they are helping you. Always feel free to get in touch if you have questions...happy to tell you how I screwed it up! ;-)

Joe,

Just now seeing your pics. I'm quite impressed with the progress you have made since I saw you in February. WOW! It's really starting to come together. Keep up the fantastic work. I know you are putting in some major hours to get it done. It's amazing to see all the support and enthusiasm from the members of this group.

Mark

Got to “go” to cover my fuselage. Also I moved on to the HS to give finish tapes a try before moving onto the wings. I did not rib stitch the horizontal simply because the factory doesn’t do it on their LSAs so I figured it’s not needed. I think it came out good. Lots of work though! Still need to do final smoothing and leading edge tape. Trailing edge done but not in picture. The fumes are starting to get annoying I wear a carbon respirator 90% of the time and have the garage door open but man this stuff is strong!

While Jim was here he brought up a great idea about my paint scheme I’m planning... that I could use vinyl tape for all of the white pinstripe lines and avoid all of the associated masking and need for white ran-thane that comes with those two white lines. With the tape I can just paint the blue, yellow, and black then lay the tape. On the wings too. I’d like to see what y’all think about this idea. Would certainly save me some work and keep the line super clean and consistent thickness.

Also I have some questions around my “paint booth” but I will post in the main forum as I think it’s more relevant there.