Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Joe,
    Your list for the G3X looks good. From what I have read you will need the WAAS GPS-20A for the GTX-45 to work for ADSB out.

These are totally preference items:
    I chose the panel mounted GTR-200 radio with the display and knobs. I like having the display and ability to tune, flip-flop frequencies and activate the "monitor" function without having to do it through the G3X display which can involve a lot of button pushing and take you away from other important stuff on the MFD. FYI the monitor function sort of makes it like a second radio, I use it to listen to AWOS without going off the primary frequency.

Also it looks like most of the functions of the GMA-245R are included in the new GTR-200B. You really don't need an audio panel unless you are going to have more than one COM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil, I agree the GTR-200B looks great and I was looking at that option as well. Not sure if I will want a second com but I do like the idea of having a separate panel for the com. I wonder how many go with two radios and how many are happy with just one. Everything Ive flown to date has had two.

For a VFR airplane, I don't perceive much value in a second radio, especially with modern radios that let you monitor the standby frequency, and pull frequencies direct from your map.

Just my $.02.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks Brian, Also it seems with the 200b you cannot use the touch screen to adjust at all... or maybe this too is misinformation.

Geeze, much easier than I thought.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

As for the top or bottom of wing first, I don't know how you would accomplish putting the metal pieces at the lift strut brackets if you put the top on first.
    You can use waxed string to secure stuff if you were a scout or Navy guy who can tie knots that won't come loose. I was neither.
    Your access cover is about like mine. I used a edge bender to put a slight angle around the entire piece and it comes out flush against the fabric. Looks nice. Not necessary.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I installed my plates like I did inspection rings. I bonded to the fabric and then covered with another piece of fabric. So you could do the top first
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3