Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Looking forward a bit in the manual to do some planning... is it advisable to do all control rigging, (elevator, rudder, and flaperons) prior to covering any surface? It seems like a lot of builds the tail is done before cover so I’m wondering if the flaps should be done before covering the wings.

Default Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Wing tips are trimmed and flaperon ends shaped and hysoled. My scribe lines were definitely off so I scribed my own. I fit them on the wings and positioned them until I was happy with the position then used this leather tool to scribe a line referenced to the inside edge of the cap strip. Super easy. Highly suggest picking one of these up if you’re working on your wing tips.

I did find one bubble in the fiberglass that I will need to fill with super-fill.

Oh and I dropped in the header tank.

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

I went to a polyfiber course this last weekend. I feel like Im ready to cover. Really great class. That being said I haven't gotten too much done. Last night I got one wing primed and ready for the leading edge install. Ill paint the next wing when the weather improves. My first time spraying anything. It was actually kinda nice, I enjoyed it, room for improvement though for sure!

Been working on paint designs as well. I really like the Bahama Blue color. Feedback as always is welcomed. Brian, I took some inspiration from your scheme just removed the lightning bolt and followed the door jam.

Brakes and sticks are in. Control feel is nice with the added leverage, almost no appreciable friction.

IMG_0942.jpgIMG_0934.jpgIMG_0883.jpgIMG_0882.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    I went to a polyfiber course this last weekend. I feel like Im ready to cover. Really great class. That being said I haven't gotten too much done. Last night I got one wing primed and ready for the leading edge install. Ill paint the next wing when the weather improves. My first time spraying anything. It was actually kinda nice, I enjoyed it, room for improvement though for sure!

Been working on paint designs as well. I really like the Bahama Blue color. Feedback as always is welcomed. Brian, I took some inspiration from your scheme just removed the lightning bolt and followed the door jam.
    I agree, 3&7.

Joe, we probably saw each other in ATL last week; I was in the electrical/avionics class. I did the cover class 3 weeks earlier with Lynn in Oshkosh (polar vortex!) I'm a few weeks behind you in build -- my weather in middle TN's been worse than yours, and my shop's unheated.

Have you decided Poly-Tone vs polyurethane? Going to build a spray booth? And finally -- what avionics are you installing, and have you decided locations for everything (including antennas, internal/external; ELT; etc)?
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Sorry we missed each other! It would have been great to meet! Im going with Ranthane because Ive heard its easier to spray and has all the same characteristics of the aerothane. For my paint booth I've bought a carport on amazon, fully enclosed. Going to add some plastic and vent fans and call it a paint booth. Ive also purchased a hobby air system.

avionics: Im going Garmin G3X. Ive mounted the magnetometer in the right wing on the 9th rib in the last bay. Thats as far as I've gotten but Im thinking everything else will be on the fuselage including the OAT.

nearly 20 year old lightly used Craftsman oiless compressor. I believe mine is a 20gal maybe 25. No problem at all with it. If you have to do large swaths many times over as when you paint a wing, some might say you need a larger compressor.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Following along as I just started two weeks ago. I am going with the G3X also. Where are your antennas going?

Thanks

Scott

Joe,
    Your list for the G3X looks good. From what I have read you will need the WAAS GPS-20A for the GTX-45 to work for ADSB out.

These are totally preference items:
    I chose the panel mounted GTR-200 radio with the display and knobs. I like having the display and ability to tune, flip-flop frequencies and activate the "monitor" function without having to do it through the G3X display which can involve a lot of button pushing and take you away from other important stuff on the MFD. FYI the monitor function sort of makes it like a second radio, I use it to listen to AWOS without going off the primary frequency.

Also it looks like most of the functions of the GMA-245R are included in the new GTR-200B. You really don't need an audio panel unless you are going to have more than one COM.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I used Poly-Tone on the fiberglass. I am not pleased with how easily it scratches. It has yet to be flown and I am already deciding Im likely to pay for a professional shop to paint my cowls and wing tips with a more durable paint around my first annual. I used Aero Graphics for the lettering on my cowl so they are available for purchase all over again with a simple phone call. I used the primer to cure, then tacky primer method as recommended. Paint is not flaking off, which is why they recommend that method but it is just far too easy to scratch. I couldn't be happier with the poly-tone on the fabric. My invasion stripes are the only thing I put on fabric. Hey, I didn't have to buy an expensive respirator and Im still alive after use of the charcoal filltered masks. Poly tone is easy to apply. I have never painted anything before and my application came out well. I also had to repair some spots and you can't tell. I will be repairing scratches on the cowl as well as a pit that showed up after paint. I am very confident you won't be able to tell I did the touch ups. That's a plus for Poly-tone.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks, Eddie. What paint gear did you use?
    - Michael
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress