Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Understood, ya I was thinking continuing to refill the cartridge as I go. It's quite a premium to buy the prefilled syringes.

Correct me if I wrong but don't people use syringes to apply premixed hysol? If not why does the tool kit come with 50 ml syringes?

I applied pre mixed with the syringes that came with the kit. It was my favourite method. Get lots of alcohol to clean them out after.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

McMaster Carr has the best price I could find on the mixing gun, nozzles, and cartridges. Before I switched to that, I was buying veterinary syringes from Amazon. They are about a buck each, so I didn't bother cleaning them.

If I did it again, I'd use the mixing gun for everything. The adhesive is like 6 times more expensive this way, but you never over-mix, so you don't throw as much in the trash. You're spending ~$80k to build a plane. Splurge on the convenience.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I had never seen those at McMaster-Carr either. For the large jobs, I used veterinary syringes. I opened up the hole slightly with a drill to produce a larger bead and easier flow (to avoid the problem Eddie mentioned). I also cleaned the syringe with alcohol just to be sure.
    I weighed/mixed the adhesive and then loaded using a popsicle stick; a little messy, but not too bad.
    Don't mix too large a batch at a time as the exothermic reaction will really heat things up and reduce the working life drastically.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

You don't need to bother weighing the Hysol for mixing; 50-50 by volume (measuring spoons or similar) is fine. I used popsicle sticks for mixing, and then put it in the big syringes-not all that hard to do. Later on near the end of the project when I wasn't using such large amounts, I bought the cartridges and nozzles for the convenience.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I did the same as Jim.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I just mixed small batches on a mixing pad and did it by weight. After the first few you really get the hang of it and most of the time you can judge the amount you need. It was/is very rare to have much waste if you plan correctly.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Here are some things to acquire if you don’t already have them.

If you bought the tool kit from Kitfox, I would get an extra #30 and #40 drill bit (12 inch)

Amazon- 60 cc syringes (15 to 20)

Ace Hardware/Home Depot- 2 gallons denatured alcohol (cleanup of Hysol)

Harbor Freight- spring clips (to hold ribs and other stuff in place 10 small and 10 medium)

Amazon extra #30 and #40 drill bits (10 each- regular length)

Amazon- food scale. One that will do grams. Sometimes Hysol is needed in small quantities and a scale that does ounces isn’t precise enough in my opinion.

A couple hundred Dixie cups (small and not wax coated)

Amazon. Hose clamps to fit a 3” hose (for holding the lift strut brackets in spar while setting sweep, dihedral and washout) 4 of these.

Extra clecos. 20. For the #30 holes.

Order extra rivets from Kitfox. Feel free to message me and I will tell you which ones and how many. You will probably have to drill out a few rivets because they didn’t seat properly.

Aircraft spruce- AN3-4, AN3-5 bolts and the nylock nuts to fit them (20 or so of each). AN960-10, and AN960-10L washers. 50 of each. They are used for everything and it is nice to have extra hardware. Spruce charges about 8 bucks or more for shipping even for smaller orders so get a list together when you need stuff and order it all at the same time.

There are other things, but I can’t remember them right now.

Steve

Yeah, I only used the syringes for the bigger jobs. Like Jim, most of the time I only needed a spoon or two of Hysol, and the further into the build, the less was needed each time. Always quick and easy to mix a bit more rather than waste a bunch. Same with SuperFil. I did use the Hysol dual cartridges near the end since it would have been an expensive waste to buy another quart.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    Here are some things to acquire if you don’t already have them.

Amazon extra #30 and #40 drill bits (10 each- regular length...
    You can get Cobalt #30 and #40 bits cheap from Spruce. 3/16 is a good idea too.

I have tons of rivets left over. Hopefully there's not something I forgot to put them in...
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS