Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Looking forward to your build, Joe. You must be counting the days until you can get started!

Rotisseries mostly assembled and garage mostly clean. They are long and I’ll final fit them when I have the wings. Flying out to Boise Tuesday. Taking delivery Wednesday!!

They look well built, Joe. It could just be the photo, but they look low to me. Will the trailing edge clear the bottom? You could always swing the trailing edge over the top, but there will be times you want to have the leading edge up.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

The base of the PVC pivot is currently at 33 inches. I got this number from a previous rotisserie post. It seemed low to me as well so I left provisions to adjust up (that’s why they extend so far above). What is the best height?

It should clear by a good margin then. It just doesn't look that tall in the picture.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

If you haven't already, I would make some provision to firmly fix the wing at any angle you need.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thanks for the feedback Gary, as I have it designed, once the wings are in place a block is added above the pvc to keep the pipe from racking in the spars and keep it square to the ground. Then a large 1/2 in bolt is placed through the two upright 2x4s and though the block with a wing nut on the other end. The pipe 1.5 in is oversized for the gap between the 2x4s. The thinking is that by tightening the wingnut the pipe is squeezed increasing the force required to rotate.

Maybe yall can weigh in on this. I'm trying to get as prepared as possible so I can start building immediately. It seems hysoling the tail is one of the first tasks. Having never worked with hysol before I've been doing some reading. What are the opinions on using static mixing guns? Like the links below. It seems most just use a scale and mix, but there are a coupe mentions of these guns and it would seem much easier/cleaner to me. Thoughts? Also maybe a dumb question, but if using the gun I bet it's a mess trying to reload each side of the syringe with the two parts of hysol. I can't imagine the plunger opening is that large in diameter and the hysol seems pretty thick! I guess this also applies to loading the syringes that kitfox supplies even after the hysol has been mixed. Any good method to doing this?

https://www.mcmaster.com/74695a71
    https://www.mcmaster.com/74695a34
    https://www.mcmaster.com/74695a944

The guns mix for you. Pop in the cartridges, put a new tip on, and squeeze. Easis way to do it but it’s more expensive. You’ll get in a groove. My tail as a mess. Good thing it’s covered now. Tape off 1/2” of each side of the rib so you can pull off a clean line. Dab a gloved finger in alcohol to make smooth filets
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

wellll, I wouldn't want you to toss the Hysol away that comes in the kit but....
    I bought the gun and the mixing tips, many of them. I bought pre-filled double barrel syringes of Hysol also available from the same outfit. It will cost you plenty if you hope to do the whole job that way. I was not aware of the empty barrel syringes but I would certainly give that a try with the product that comes in the kit. I bet it is no fun to try to get the product into the syringe though. Don't bother trying to mix up Hysol and stuff it into a syringe. It will begin setting up quickly and it becomes very difficult to push the plunger. The gun and syringe set up is one thing I will always recommend. The nice thing is, you only waste the product that is inside the mixing tip.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X