Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    I went to a polyfiber course this last weekend. I feel like Im ready to cover. Really great class. That being said I haven't gotten too much done. Last night I got one wing primed and ready for the leading edge install. Ill paint the next wing when the weather improves. My first time spraying anything. It was actually kinda nice, I enjoyed it, room for improvement though for sure!

Been working on paint designs as well. I really like the Bahama Blue color. Feedback as always is welcomed. Brian, I took some inspiration from your scheme just removed the lightning bolt and followed the door jam.
    I agree, 3&7.

Joe, we probably saw each other in ATL last week; I was in the electrical/avionics class. I did the cover class 3 weeks earlier with Lynn in Oshkosh (polar vortex!) I'm a few weeks behind you in build -- my weather in middle TN's been worse than yours, and my shop's unheated.

Have you decided Poly-Tone vs polyurethane? Going to build a spray booth? And finally -- what avionics are you installing, and have you decided locations for everything (including antennas, internal/external; ELT; etc)?
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

Sorry we missed each other! It would have been great to meet! Im going with Ranthane because Ive heard its easier to spray and has all the same characteristics of the aerothane. For my paint booth I've bought a carport on amazon, fully enclosed. Going to add some plastic and vent fans and call it a paint booth. Ive also purchased a hobby air system.

avionics: Im going Garmin G3X. Ive mounted the magnetometer in the right wing on the 9th rib in the last bay. Thats as far as I've gotten but Im thinking everything else will be on the fuselage including the OAT.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrotter View Post
    But there's no dispute that if you're using Poly-Tone (on fabric) and polyfiber enamel (on primed metal), then one only needs a charcoal-canister respirator, right?

And a related question -- does anyone who used Poly-Tone on the fabric just use the Poly-Tone on the metal also? With what result?

Thanks

Michael
    From what Ive been told you are correct polytone/primer>regular respirator. I can't speak to polytone on metal but Ive read it doesn't perform as well as aerothane/ranthane.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrotter View Post
    does anyone who used Poly-Tone on the fabric just use the Poly-Tone on the metal also? With what result?

Michael
    It will adhere just fine but you have to put it over a tacky coat of sealer. The Stits EP-420 Epoxy primer works fine. When it's (the EP-420) just past tacky put the Poly-Tone over it.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

I've been advised by Polyfiber to do two coats of EP-420 over both metal or fibreglass - would also apply to Carbon I suspect as well.. The first coat you apply normally and let it cure/dry. For the second coat, you apply it and whilst still tacky, apply the first coat of your final colour. Apparently doing it this way allows the final coat to cure/dry with the tacky primer. They tell me this will work in most cases, assuming good surface prep. before applying the EP-420. I've done this on my main gear springs and so far so good.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I used Poly-Tone on the fiberglass. I am not pleased with how easily it scratches. It has yet to be flown and I am already deciding Im likely to pay for a professional shop to paint my cowls and wing tips with a more durable paint around my first annual. I used Aero Graphics for the lettering on my cowl so they are available for purchase all over again with a simple phone call. I used the primer to cure, then tacky primer method as recommended. Paint is not flaking off, which is why they recommend that method but it is just far too easy to scratch. I couldn't be happier with the poly-tone on the fabric. My invasion stripes are the only thing I put on fabric. Hey, I didn't have to buy an expensive respirator and Im still alive after use of the charcoal filltered masks. Poly tone is easy to apply. I have never painted anything before and my application came out well. I also had to repair some spots and you can't tell. I will be repairing scratches on the cowl as well as a pit that showed up after paint. I am very confident you won't be able to tell I did the touch ups. That's a plus for Poly-tone.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks, Eddie. What paint gear did you use?
    - Michael
    Michael

When I painted my Series 5 many years ago, I tried the recommended spray polytone over tacky primer on hard surfaces. two problems I encountered were the procedure is a pain in the butt , because you are shooting two different paints in close succession and you either need two paints rigs or better be quick and cleaning your gun for the next coat. second , like Eddie says I found the polytone not durable on hard surfaces and I figured it would never stand the test of time. My solution was to head to the local auto paint store and they did a great job of matching my Polytone colors with their enamel (Dupont Centari was the product I used) and this is what I used on my cowl., doors ,gear etc. I can't tell the difference in color between the two paints and after 16 years , I know I did the right thing because it has held up well. I did have to flatten the sheen on the enamel a bit to match the polytone but that was easy with the flattener mixed into the enamel. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought the twin pack (larger gun and smaller detail gun) that Harbor Freight sells. Used a desicant filter in line and I used a small pressure regulator at the gun. The Poly-tone is so forgiving I might have been able to spray it from a discarded windex spray bottle. Kidding of course.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Air source?
    Michael