Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Also helps to cold-soak the bushing in your freezer and heat the elevator with a heat gun before driving them in.

Also, if you sanded the bearings down to fit those bushings before you installed them, you'll find that installing the bushings compresses them, and you'll need to sand the bearings some more. Ask me how I know!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks Josh, after that first one I was a bit more agressive with the presanding. Even with a c clamp it wasn’t moving! Got the rest of them in. I’ll give the factory a call just Incase but I think I’ll end up filing.

A caution about filing it down: The bearing that slips inside of this bushing must stick out a little on both sides so that when you install the elevator the two welded on tabs slip over the bearing and the bolt must tightly clamp the two tabs to the bearing without clamping to the bushing. So when you rotate the elevator the bushing does not move, but the bearing rotates inside the bushing. I think you will be OK filing it down, but just be sure the mechanism works as it should.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Call the factory and get a new brass bushing coming. (Bearing) heat up the elevator but don’t damage powder coating. Take a socket that will fit easily in and hit it and knock it out. Start over and sand brass bushing so it will slide in easy. Then apply locktight and install. We had to do this on one of ours planes.

Jim's nailed it correctly. To add to that, the plane bearing through which the bolt goes is made from a softer material than the interference fit outer bush and you need a "running" fit between the inner and outer. If your bolt is rotating when you move the elevator up and down, then the joint isn't working as designed. Furthermore, and more importantly, you are rotating the bolt in the HS mounted tabs which over time will cause wear in the tab bolt holes, which can then lead to sloppiness in your elevator control system.... not something you want happening.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thanks all for the input. I filled it down for fitting, but I did talk to Brandon and replacing it is suggested so I will get one on order and replace it when it arrives.

Got the tail all fitted up and varnished except for the rudder and bulkhead. Pretty exciting to put it all together for the first time.

a few things:

My elevator is pretty tight. It doesn't fall under its own weight. All of my bearing bushings are a nice smooth fit, but I suspect that the powder coat on the side of the bushing mounts and the tabs are causing some friction and the taps not being exactly square to the axis. Will this loosen up as the powder coat wears? Should I clean it off?

I had to grind some of the weld on the center horizontal mounting bushing, that connects to the fuselage, to make it square with the sides, so it could be installed. I want to be over cautious here and check because there are only 3 points holding the horizontal! It was minimal but what to check its ok.

Post some pictures, that will help tell what your talking about. It should not be binding at all. I would guess you need more sandind on bearings? How does it feel with the bolts in and no nuts on the hinges?

It should move freely. Figure it out now; it will be time well spent.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Joe, if you are rotating powdercoated tabs against powdercoated bushing mounts, then something is wrong. The bearing (brass piece) inside the steel bushing should be the only moving surfaces when the joint is bolted up to torque spec.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

IIRC, It's a steel bearing inside a brass bushing. Otherwise, Jim dis exactly correct. The ears on the elevator should only touch the bearings - nothing else.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS