Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

Default Re: Joe Ruscito's Kitfox S7 Build

That is what I suspected. The one in the background I pulled from another bag for comparison.

I also found the nutplates too tight for my liking. An easier way to loosen them up without using a tap is just squeeze them carefully with vice-grips, just a little at a time until a fresh screw goes in without stripping the head but still has plenty of holding friction. Quick and easy.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Good eyes still John. I thought the one in the background was a flush rivet and considered the photo didn't reveal that on the one in hand.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I’m ready to install stringers and lower stringer. Is there any reason not to install tail wheel and/or main gear early instead of building a fuselage stand?

Seems like they would be in the way for covering. I know your doing poly fiber but for Oratex they would of been in the way. I am also glad I left off the butt ribs so I could set the fuselage upside down and on its side and not worry about damaging them. Also no gear keeps it lighter.

You will want to be able to rotate the fuselage for covering and paint. You could put the gear on, but you'll have to take them back off to cover. Better to just build the stand now.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I assumed I’d have to take it back off to cover but I was under the impression I needed to fit it all before covering anyway. If that’s not the case then I’ll build the stand. Was trying to kill two birds as they say.

Any suggestions? Got in this far. Can’t get it in anymore, or out. Safe to file down the part that extends too far?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah that Loctite 680 is tough stuff! I once had a bolt on another project that had a sloppy fit so I use that. I was unbelievable how hard I had to work with heat and big hammers to get the bolt out.. long story short you have three options.

You can either drill it out and get another bearing put in there. Might be tough as your drill will have a hard time fitting against the stab. You would probably need a really long bolt.

You could file the one side and fab up a small piece to make up the difference to put in the other side.

Or you could file it and call it a day. Some guys are perfectionists and would say drill it out etc. Personally with how little is showing, I would feel comfortable with filing it and installing it as is. There are 5 more bushing that take the relatively low load. When in doubt, call the factory.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Not sure if it helps but when I did this step I made sure the bearing slipped in relatively easily(friction fit but not tons of force) and then I had a "C" clamp ready. As soon as that 680 was on the bushing I tightened the C clamp to get it in quickly
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3