Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAINEiac STi Build

Default MAINEiac STi Build

After being a member here for nearly three years, I'd like to officially introduce myself to all of my fellow builders. After a many months wait, my STi kit finally arrived in late October. I had to wait a couple more months to begin because of work, but I have finally jumped in. I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to share your experiences, and talents, here on the forum. I have been reading, researching, and trying to gain as much knowledge as I could before my kit arrived. I have been in contact with quite a few of you, asking questions and advice. It's nice to have such a supportive group available to share knowledge with.
    I've been nervous, excited, stressed, and pretty much consumed with "what have I done syndrome" , as I waited for my kit to arrive. I completed my inventory right off, and after an 8 week wait, have finally begun. I'm learning so much right out of the gate. I will be posting some pics as I go, and hope that as I learn new skills, I will be able to contribute to the forum. I would like to thank: Joe, Dustin, Harlan, Darrel, Lauren, and Larry (Oshkosh 2019 BBQ luncheon was fantastic!) just to name a few. They have all taken the time to talk with me, and/or respond to my pesky questions, over the last year and a half. I have no specific complete-by-date, but would love to make it to Oshkosh 2022.

If there is any interest in seeing an STi go together, feel free to contact me. I have never done anything like this before, so it should be interesting. So far, my English Lab has said I've done everything correctly!

Mark
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Default Re: MAINEiac STi Build

Here are some pics of my progress so far:

Delivery, inventory, reaming, rib fitting, stiffeners, Hysol application, and balsa tip fitting.
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Looking good Mark, keep the progress going!!

Really good to see so many new Kitfox build starts , rebuilds , resurrections and barn saves happening. Keeps the community of our fine airplanes healthy and strong. And to all you builders, know that in the end its well worth your efforts. This is year 18 of flying my Series 5 and I know that I picked the right airplane to own. Bruce N199CL

Congratz and welcome Mark! Another black powder coated pile of airplane goodies.

Looking forward to seeing it come together!

All the best!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Made some more progress over the weekend:

Finished making my balsa tips, and they are now attached. I still need to shape them. I pressed in some bushings, and sanded down the bearings. (Each one of mine began at .3140, and need to be approximately .3115). That is no quick task, even using a drill press. I plan to press in the rest tomorrow, and then get the bearings sanded to fit.

One of the three bushings went in very stubbornly, think I may sand the others down a bit before pressing them in. (They all measure .4400, with the holes reamed at .4375.).

What is a good difference so they still press in, just not so tightly? Any reason I shouldn’t do that?
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Whenever I have stubborn press fits , I use the put em in the freezer trick to help shrink them a touch more. Bruce N199CL

Here are a few pics of what I was able to get done the last couple days. It was really nice to actually put something “on” the plane. The ribs seemed to take forever. Now that both HS and elevator are on, I plan to sand down the tips. I still have to varnish the ribs also. Next will be to install the HS slider blocks, trim actuator, and adjust the HS. So far everything has gone as expected. I am getting a bit quicker with pulling the parts as I need them.
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Looking great Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am slowly making progress. HS blocks and trim actuator are in. Tail ribs are all varnished. Control column completed. Installing the right pivot control was not too bad. It did take a bit of time, but I used a couple sanding drums in my Dremel, and it worked quite well. Bearings were pressed in, cleaned out some powder coating in some threads, and then assembled. I’m now going to mount it in fuselage. I did just pick up a #12 reamer as many of the bolts are not fitting.

Getting the control rod to slide between the tabs of the right pivot control tube was very challenging. I did use a dab of super glue to hold the small washers, but the fit was very tight. I ended up using an angled pic and slightly pried one tab as the rod end was firmly pushed in between. It worked first try using that method.
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex