Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Default Re: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Hope phase one is going good Jeff. Hadn’t heard update for a few weeks.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hey Team Kitfox. Fighting a couple gremlins. I think I solved one yesterday and the other is waiting parts...
    I will say this about copper crush gaskets. Seal ‘em with a good gasket material and get ‘em tight. I originally seated them using the spec sheet and they both leaked. The oil temp sensor was harder to diagnose than the screen gasket.
    Also had some life stuff pile up. Ignoring your domicile while focusing on finishing an airplane tends to bite you later... 😫
    Plane flies great! No bad habits. Stalls at 45, 3 points at 55. Now to line up the stall with the flare...
    I saw 2600’/min couple days ago with 14 degrees on the prop. I think it will go 3k if I finess it a bit! Will try to remember airspeed on next max climb rate attempt.
    FlyEFII system is working great. Engine will run smoothly at 550 rpm, I have it set to 680 though. 👍🏻
    Putting a bullet camera on the left main mount to improve forward view was a good idea from a co-worker for taxiing. Can’t see anything over the nose. Landing view is kinda like a biplane, just focus out the lower left corner of the windshield when you start the flare.
    cheers!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Cool Re: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Holy Cow, 2600' / minute. You need to file IFR for that? You certainly aren't seeing out the windscreen at that rate. You need to post a video from inside while at that climb. That has to be an impressive deck angle.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Good report Jeff. We figured it would be a performance monster. 😀

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

One of the airport rats said it was 45+ deg. Didn’t hold it long just wanted to see what it would do. The plane was not decelerating and I tested the belts in pushover!
    Working (studying and learning) on the EFII system and trying to get it optimized. Slow process but I want the engine to be as optimal as I can get it.
    Its a fly one day and spend a couple days studying approach.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    ..........Putting a bullet camera on the left main mount to improve forward view was a good idea from a co-worker for taxiing. Can’t see anything over the nose. Landing view is kinda like a biplane, just focus out the lower left corner of the windshield when you start the flare.
    cheers!
    Jeff - which bullet camera did you use and why did you pick that particular one. Looking to do the same thing but you can literally get prices from DC to light and they all say they're great!

Thanks
    Gary

Hey Gary,
    sorry for the delay...
    the original camera system was a GoVue wireless system. SKU:RVS-020813 Model: RVS-082545. The camera connected to power and a small wifi router. It has an app you can put on your phone or tablet. About $150.00. Had to get a different camera because a backup camera displays a reverse image. 🤦🏻*♂️
    So I found a camera on amazon that can reverse the image and all is good. It is an Esky Car Camera. SKU 181-00170-11, pn ec170-11 or ym-503s. It’s $13.99 on amazon.
    After a quick search on amazon you can get the router for about $50. See, I saved you $100! Go buy one! 😂😂
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Good news this morning. I have been chasing 2 vexing issues and it looks as if they have been resolved.
    1st was a minor oil leak that seemed like it was coming from the back of the engine somewhere. I spent a month trying to track it down. Turned out to be the crush gasket on the oil temp sensor. Think Lycoming, not Rotax. Put some permatex sealer on a new gasket and tightened it down a bit more.
    Second item was high CHTs. Turns out this was caused by the EFII timing. I have a legacy FlyEFII system and the ECU was made by SDS. Turns out the ignition advance was set to 30 deg. Backed it down to 25 and set the MAP advance/retard to 2deg retard for MP over 27" and 1 deg retard for 25 to 27". All others were set to zero. CHTs dropped from 420+ to 380! THanks to Ross Farnham at SDS for helping me figure this one out. I am a happy camper! Now I can really start getting into the flight testing.
    I also instrumented up a differential air pressure meter to ensure I was getting a good pressure drop over the cylinders. Minimum for the Titan 340 is 6.5" H2O per their advertisement. I was seeing 7.5" in climb and 9.2" in level flight.
    Climb out today was a gentle 2000'/min!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Hey Gary,
    sorry for the delay...
    the original camera system was a GoVue wireless system. SKU:RVS-020813 Model: RVS-082545. The camera connected to power and a small wifi router. It has an app you can put on your phone or tablet. About $150.00. Had to get a different camera because a backup camera displays a reverse image. 🤦🏻*♂️
    So I found a camera on amazon that can reverse the image and all is good. It is an Esky Car Camera. SKU 181-00170-11, pn ec170-11 or ym-503s. It’s $13.99 on amazon.
    After a quick search on amazon you can get the router for about $50. See, I saved you $100! Go buy one! 😂😂
    Thanks Jeff!!! Exactly what I was looking for. I knew about the reversal and had people telling me that was what I should use. When asked about the reversal issue I got the trout look. I also appreciate the savings there too.

Gary

Went up for a bit today and Mountain Fox came up to play! Got some nice pics!👍
    I’m sitting at 15.7 hrs now. Hope to put a big dent in it Thanksgiving week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF