Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Default Re: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

hold on there regarding using a tank sealer!

Why would you want to do anything different than the instructions on the tank? There's a sticker on each tank and threads here on how to slosh the tanks to clean them. Not to be dramatic but pilots have been killed with fuel issues. Please don't try some motorcycle slosh just because it works on a bike.

Even if you are going to put the sealer on the outside I'd stop and search threads here.

Tahoe
    I didn't decide to do this on a whim! I did a search here and read that the Kreem flakes off. Kreem in famous for this in motorcycle (and other) tanks too. Others recommended using the Hirsch sealer as well.
    The Hirsch sealant is used on many vehicles other than motorcycles and is perfect for fiberglass tanks. It is safe for all fuels and is safe for fuel with alcohol additives.
    and Aircraft Spruce sells it as a tank sealer
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

We are talking about brand new SS7 tanks, correct?

From an internet article:

"I have been investigating aircraft accidents for 37 years and can”t begin to tell you how many accidents I have worked in my career that the cause was a fuel tank sloshing compound. I have yet to see any of the sloshing compound work as advertised without eventually running to the finger screens and obstructing the pick up area for fuel, thus starving the engine and having power loss or interuption. The pro seal works well when applied properly, The sloshing compound just doesn”t. My advice to owners with fuel tank leak problems. “DON”T USE SLOSHING COMPOUND OF ANY KIND”!!!!!!! It doesn”t work!!!!! Lucky Louque/ Air Salvage of Dallas/////////"

I fly a 70 year old Ercoupe (and am building a SS7) and I could tell you story after story that would back up the above comments. Eventually, it breaks down and begins to clog the screens.

Off my soapbox now.

Tahoe
    No I am building a Series 5. The tanks I have are sealed with Kreem (says so on the tank) and this stuff is notorious for peeling in ANY type of tank whether it is steel, plastic or FG.
    The comment you made is precisely why I am stripping out the Kreem. It will fail. No doubt in my mind. I would much rather get this fixed now than deal with flushing a tank mounted in a wing.
    What are the SS7 tanks lined with?
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Nothing for the SS7 tanks. There is a check procedure using lung pressure to check for leaks before installing.

Dick B

A question. Are the failed - peeled - sloshing compound. Incidents in the referenced article on Kitfox tanks or maybe aluminum tanks? Entirely different animal? The reason. I ask is that I had 900 hours on my first Model IV with factory Kreemed tanks over 9 years. I had a slight leak near the filler cap that prompted a rinse and a re-Kreem on one tank. Almost half of those 900 hours were spent flying with groups as large as 8 airplanes and none of them had Kreem issues - nor did the vast majority of the owner builders of the 40 or so Kitfoxes shipped per month in the Heyday. Yes there were some - very few - instances of peeling and like some comments about Kreem over the years, some of the fixes that first instance reported on the original Kitfox Email List provoked were about as amazing. Some removed the finger strainers to prevent the Kreem peel from clogging their "finger strainers" - no kidding!

Ethanol fuels became manditory in California - my home stare - in january 2004 and was introduced in early 2003. I flew 4+ of my nine years with alcohol containing fuels - still no problems. For sure, this is a "To Each His Own" proposition, but... I guess I'm just getting tired.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Finally got the batteries mounted and power checks complete! Stuff works and I even get the audible alerts from the EIS and my 496!
    Looks like fuselage covering is in the very near future!
    Need to get the wings on and get the pitot tube mounted and plumbed as well as the wingtip lighting wires.
    Will build up my engine this fall. Exciting times!!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Sounds like good progress Jeff.
    Always a good sign when you power up and the expensive smoke stays inside the avionics.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Had a good friend come and help me roll 340KF on her back. Just sitting on the ground is almost the perfect height to cover the bottom! Took a few days off so I hope to have the fuse covered by next week.
    I have been busy ordering engine parts too. B&C really did me good. The starter, alternator and oil filter mount arrived today and they look top notch.
    Airpower has been really helpful in piecing my engine together so I get exactly what I want.
    This has been a really cool experience and everything seems to be falling into place at just the right time.
    Sold my 68 E33A last week and made enough to cover most of my engine parts so that was another good sign!
    I have been taking photos, just not posting them. Will share soon.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Working on covering the fuselage. So far I am averaging a side a day...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF