Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Default Re: Jeffs 340 Kitfox

Finished taping the wings tonite... Sooooo glad the covering effort is done.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Curious, what covering process are you using? Hope you post pics of your covering. Your work on the plane looks great.
    Brian

Congratulations on finishing the covering. I know from reading other builder threads that it's a big job. Well done. I'm about to start doing mine, beginning with the wings. Never done it before. Should be interesting ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Covering is kind of a big job, takes quite a bit of time. Still a lot of fun though, and when you cover something big, you get a real sense of accomplishment. Lot of people start with the tailfeathers first though, especially if they aren't used to doing this kind of work. You can always pull the fabric off if you don't like how it went and have another try at it, and with say a rudder, you won't waste much fabric. Follow the manual, and if you do as it says, it should come out fine. JImChuk

Brian
    I'm using Stewarts system. Pretty easy to work with and not toxic!

David
    I have covered rc planes for many years but this was my first full scale job. It's more work but not difficult. The part that gave me the most concern was the area that flares the vertical stab to the fuselage. It was a challenge but worked out good! If you are not comfortable fitting tape to curved edges, i.e. hstab and elevator tips, get some bias tape. Seems to be easier to work around curves.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Would you do the Stewart's system again? Just curious?

Clark

I've done a lot of research on the Stewart system, seems to be a good system, I've found some had trouble with the top coat. I've covered a few airplanes over the years, but have never tried the Stewart System. Right now, I'm leaning towards Poly Fiber, and as an extra precaution when it comes to spraying, using a supplied fresh air respirator. What I've found out about the Stewart system is, they recommend a compressor that can supply around 13cfm, can even Tee a couple of compressors together. One recommendation was to run the air from the pump through a condenser to cool it, through a water trap/filter, then into the tank..........then from the tank through another water trap/filter. You want lots of air and you don't want it hot. They also recommend using new hoses and 3/8 inch fittings throughout to aid with air flow. Other precautions, like cleaning surfaces etc like any other product are needed too. I know some have used other then Stewart's products for the top coat, but I have no idea how they would adhere and stand up over time.

I would definitely use Stewarts again. I haven't got to the paint part yet but there are people in the area that understand this paint. A friend has a Citabria that he restored. It is painted with Stewarts and looks amazing. The paint is very flexible and also very shiny.
    We have a ( there are 3 of us getting ready to paint) booth with a 5 HP 80 gal Ingersoll Rand that flows about 16cfm at 90 psi. We also have a dryer/regulator and about 60 ft of copper pipe tied to a concrete wall to cool it off. All fittings are 3/8". We have researched this as well and decided MEK is too toxic.
    On the other hand one of our EAA chapter members is restoring a Waco taperwing and he is using polyfiber because the plane originally came that way. sort of...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Jim and Jeff, thanks for the info and advice. Always good to get perspective from others who've done it.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Any system you chose will work for you as long as you follow their instructions. Even with experience things can go south during painting. We all want flawless paint jobs, after spraying 6 airplanes I have come to accept flaws, life is not perfect and neither is paint or temperatures and humidity that we have to deal with during painting. If you are expecting perfection you will be disappointed in the end unless you hire a professional with a $50,000.00 paint booth with down draft exhaust and all the separators for moisture.

Take pride in your own paint job and the finish you accomplish, it will mean more to you in the end that you did it.

Of all the systems I have used I would use Superflight over any of them. Saying this when it comes time to paint my Fox I might yet try another system, PPG aircraft coatings, the down side is it requires a clear coat over the color. Each time you spray another coat the risk is there for mistakes and disappointments.

Look at any paint job on a fabric plane, you will find a run, dry spot or orange peel if you look for it.