Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mountainfox build thread

Default Re: Mountainfox build thread

Awesome Scott. I have a similar pic of my build. We all do right? Fun days. Keep it up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Still at it here. Slacking in terms of updating here.

Fuel, oil and radiator plumbing is done. Was racing the weather in the fall to get the fuse painted, so I have been back on the rudder, horiz stab and elevator. I am down to finish tapes on the horiz stab and rudder. Avionics are ordered - G3X package from Kitfox. Finishing alot of little things like tail access covers. Still need to finish cowl too. Cleco'd in but need to install camlocs and anchor nuts in the firewall.

There is a thread on the 912iS hose routing. I have followed that methodology.

Wiring is coming up soon. Planning to do the harness myself. Will cause a delay because I am not a wiring guru. What needs to be done there is slowly seeping into my brain. Have put the Garmin interconnect diagrams under my pillow.

Thanks to all who have helped - Jeff, JoeRuscito, Aviator79, Carl. Texts, emails and calls.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good. My brother and I dreaded the wiring on our planes. Nikk was going to come out and help us until he had his accident. I can tell you a lot of building the plane I did not enjoy. I did not like all the parts that did not fit. A lot of guys kept on telling us the wiring is the best part. Now I would have to agree with them. I did a lot of reading and tried to get my mind wrapped around everything like yourself. Just break it LRU down and tackle one at a time. I printed each interconnect drawing that applied and the pin outs for each LRU. I made a separate folder for each LRU and labeled them. Take really good notes as your doing the wiring. Make sure you get the label maker and label every wire. I was recommend this ground bus and it saved a ton of time and is very clean.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...MaAoyvEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 02-16-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thank you for that link. Just ordered one. I got a label maker also, along with the shrink wrap sleeves. The label maker will print right on those sleeves, clean solution.

I hear you on the build. I have enjoyed most of it. I wish I had taken a poly fiber class ahead of time, my work would have been cleaner. I am looking forward to flying though, especially since my only option for now is to rent something. The experience with the factory has been great. They are very supportive. Everyone here has been a big help too.

Wow! Nicely done.

Fighting the cold as well here. I'm Looking forward to the wiring part. Glad there are many G3X vet's to ask questions to just in case!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Regarding wiring labels, you can also use a Brother label maker and use their smallest font. Wrap the label around the wire and cover with a piece of clear shrink tubing. The Brother label maker also makes great labels for your panel.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Looking great man! Wiring is no big deal just take your time. Call anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this. No worries on the wiring. A couple good weekends and all will be well! Let me know when you are ready and I’ll stop by.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Well, I have been slacking in terms of updates here. The plane is done, or at least 99%. Still working on some little details. The FAA has a new AWC portal they are using to submit the paperwork through. I got through all of that and my application was denied. No reason given but I got a follow up email that they were too busy, and was given instructions to find a DAR-T nearby. A local search via the website turned up three folks, only one of whom can do it. Not sure on cost yet. I have heard recent stories of them charging over $1,000. A little frustrating but just gotta hang in there, not many options on that I do not think.

I am happy with how everything turned out. The G3X took a little bit to figure out and configure. Still waiting on seats, the Kitfox vendor was temporarily unavailable so I went with Oregonaero. Will peel the protective cover from the doors and windshield at last minute. A big thank you to all who have helped.

img_2537.jpg

Very nice. I understand the DAR issue. My FSDO won't come out of his house - per orders he says so I had to go the DAR route. Looking forward to a first flight test report.