Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mountainfox build thread

Default Re: Mountainfox build thread

That’s a whole bucket of awesomesauce! Congrats👍🏻 We need to start a midwest Kitfox fly in...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

$1,200 is insane. I would probably spend a night in jail if a DAR tried to charge me that much. Anyway, congrats on the successful inspection; now go out and have FUN!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Congratz and well done. Fair winds!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I found your W&B quite interesting. Most everyone I speak to complains of too much forward CG and you are opposite. It looks like you don't have enough.
    I also saw a comment in your log that you were actively trying to move weight forward.
    I haven't hung my motor but I have been doing everything under the pretense that I need to move weight toward the tail and it looks like we will have a similar setup.
    Do you have any thoughts or comments on how you managed CG?
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

I am still thinking through it honestly. I just set things up the way I know the factory does it and a few others have done it. I need to compare mine with JoeRuscuitos but I have not yet. I think I put a few more things forward than he did, but nothing substantial, which makes it seem odd. Joe's plane is the closest to mine that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.hvac View Post
    I found your W&B quite interesting. Most everyone I speak to complains of too much forward CG and you are opposite. It looks like you don't have enough.
    I also saw a comment in your log that you were actively trying to move weight forward.
    I haven't hung my motor but I have been doing everything under the pretense that I need to move weight toward the tail and it looks like we will have a similar setup.
    Do you have any thoughts or comments on how you managed CG?
    First of all, congratulations Scott... it's a wonderful accomplishment, and your Kitfox looks beautiful! The W&B is interesting. I have the opposite situation, as you can see from my attachment below. Your engine installation should be heavier than mine (912ULS), and we have the same propellers (Whirlwind) I think. I have a T-3 tail spring, but a light-weight Matco 8" tailwheel. I used Oratex, so there is a weight difference there. I also have the Grove main gear. Although I think I have a lighter tailwheel than yours, I did add a few minor things that add a little extra weight aft of the CG - I welded on an additional ground handling handle, designed & added the hinged/folding turtledeck cover and an extended aluminum floor aft of the cargo bay. My scales are electronic also and were calibrated before the weighing. Even completely empty my CG is aft of the forward limit, as you can see. It seems like the airplane would glide just fine completely empty and without a pilot. I wouldn't mind a little more weight in the nose, although it's pretty good where it is.

Weight & Balance 8-3-18.pdf
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    First of all, congratulations Scott... it's a wonderful accomplishment, and your Kitfox looks beautiful! The W&B is interesting. I have the opposite situation, as you can see from my attachment below. Your engine installation should be heavier than mine (912ULS), and we have the same propellers (Whirlwind) I think. I have a T-3 tail spring, but a light-weight Matco 8" tailwheel. I used Oratex, so there is a weight difference there. I also have the Grove main gear. Although I think I have a lighter tailwheel than yours, I did add a few minor things that add a little extra weight aft of the CG - I welded on an additional ground handling handle, designed & added the hinged/folding turtledeck cover and an extended aluminum floor aft of the cargo bay. My scales are electronic also and were calibrated before the weighing. Even completely empty my CG is aft of the forward limit, as you can see. It seems like the airplane would glide just fine completely empty and without a pilot. I wouldn't mind a little more weight in the nose, although it's pretty good where it is.

Weight & Balance 8-3-18.pdf
    What I wrote above was a little confusing... I meant to imply that my situation was the opposite of "most everyone" Patrick had spoken to ... the same as yours, Scott.
    Patrick - The people needing more weight in the tail are surely using larger/heavier engines than either Scott or I have.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Call anytime! Congrats man! Stoked to fly with you soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk