Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountainfox build thread

Default Re: Mountainfox build thread

Keep it up! I’ll be stopping by periodically to check your progress!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Need an opinion here. #1 rib is secure. It is 35.5" center on center from the #3 rib, top and bottom, front and back. Fuel tank is sitting there unattached for perspective.

The butt rib is place next to #1, but it is binding aft against the bracket. The brackets each have a little more play as you move fore. The only solution I see is to trim the aft bracket the least amount so that it will not bind, and I can get a 1/16" spacer in between #1 and the butt rib. I am guessing it needs to be trimmed maybe 1/8" to 3/16". I may have to trim the second bracket too, but not much.

Anyone see any problem with this?

img_0728.jpg

img_0729.jpg

img_0730.jpg

Im pretty Dang Certain that Brandon (factory) just told another builder a week ago or so. Those Butt Rib brackets get cut off. He said that each bracket gets shorter moving aft.
    If nobody substantiates that then definitely call the factory. I used the carpenters method since I was not aware.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I should note here too that I have the left butt rib in place on the right. I have seen others flip them. Seems the purpose is so that there is more to work with for the windshield mount on the "outer" edge of the butt rib. The offset in the butt rib webbing could be what is causing the binding.

I still do not see a problem with shaving a bit off of there. I'll call factory Monday if no one can confirm.

I got the idea from searching on here. FrontierFox and others have done this it appears.

Thanks

Like Eddie said, the brackets need to be cut down in length as necessary.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I stopped by and was surprised to see that the butt rib is no longer manufactured with the rib flush with the edge of the capstrips. Probably doesn’t matter but it gives less material to fasten the windscreen to. My 2 cents...
    We came to the conclusion to trim the brackets. Easiest thing to do...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Meyer
    I went through the same thing with my butt ribs. It’s ok to trim the rear attach brackets but just a small amount. Measure twice, cut once as stated. You should not have to trim the next bracket forward.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

More progress.

Butt rib got ironed out, thanks for the responses.

First coat of varnish on the wing, thanks to my girlfriend. Jury strut mocked up too. Fuel tank next. I am hoping to get this wing finished up and then flip things around to do the other wing.

I think I am close to being able to put this wing back on the rotisserie and mount the other wing. I only have enough room to attach one at a time.

Final drilling for jury strut is done. Fuel tank will be mounted soon. Varnishing is done. Butt rib will be finalized shortly.

I have been reading ahead for what is left on the wing and it seems like the rest can be done on rotisserie. Trying to be efficient.

Does this seem ok?

Also, I have read that some do not hysol the sides of the tank so they can rib stitch (I am leaning towards this). Some have done the hysol and then drill to be able to rib stitch. Some do not rib stitch near the tank.

Any current wisdom on this topic?

Thanks all

Hey Meyer

I used fiberglass resin and matting instead of using hysol to fill the gap between the rib and tank. Instead of wood, hysol and fiberglass tank I have wood and fiberglass. I will drill through the fiberglass next to the capstrip to rib stitch. I also used fiberglass resin to attach the false ribs on the bottom of the fuel tank. Ruff up the surface well so the resin has some bite. My two cents
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog