Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Okay back working on the STI's! Getting the avionics ordered. Quick questions on what everyone knows. Sorry I have just started reading the G3X manual but I am trying to get an order in quick to get stuff coming.
    Here is what we are doing. Amazing the avionics sales guys don't know this stuff. But my question is if we do the gtx45r I need a GPS antenna (GA35) and a WAAS receiver (GPS20A) to feed the GTX45r correct?

Do I need a gps receiver/antenna for the G3X also?

G3X Touch 10" landscape
    Guardian 9.7" Ipad air 2 mount
    GTR20 Remote comm
    Vertical power sport
    GEA 24 EIS
    GTX45R
    GA35 WASSGPS antenna
    GPS20A
    (We are doing all remote mount to try and keep the CG back with the added weight of a turbo and intercooler and upgraded alternator)

Obviously there is a bunch more connectors and install kits and senors, I just outlined the major components.
    From my limited understanding you definitely need gps20a to feed 45r. And also a gps antenna of some type (I believe there’s multiple you can choose from). I find it amazing even garmin tech contridicts themselves on these topics.

Listening to you guys talk about the Garmin G3X system and installation, I am blown away by the apparent complexity compared to when I installed my Dynon Skyview system which has the exact same functions. I am probably biased and am oversimplifying the Dynon system and due to unfamiliarity am over complicating the Garmin system. However, it still seems to me that my Dynon Skyview with engine sensors, remote mode S transponder, EFIS w/WAAS GPS, ADS-B in and out, and required antennas had fewer parts and pieces, was somewhat cheaper and was a breeze to install compared to the Garmin. Admittedly I haven't done a rigorous comparison, but its just a strong feeling I get as I listen to your contortions to get everything figured out. Go ahead, shoot me down, I am saying all this good naturedly.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

All I can say is hindsight is 20/20. The GSU25, GMU11, GTP59 are already installed in the wing so no reason to look back now!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Actually if the salesman just did a little research and new what they where talking about, would make it much easier!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think I we are set on the avionics. Hoping to get them ordered shortly!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thomas with Edge Performance is getting the second motor assembled. Hoping to see both soon....fingers crossed!

I was able to get the hard fuel lines from header tank to firewall ran.

I have heard a few say that you get cold in the winter. When we where building the cabin heater and installing the fans we hooked them up to a battery and they did not seem to move much air. So we found some direct replacement fans that move 3x the CFM and they fit exactly the same. Also noticed that I don't want the cabin heating in the summertime so I installed a shutoff. I decided on this location so I could turn it on and off easily. This will be helpful for those summer days when I find myself up in the flight levels......

Almost ready for the engine!

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That Edge engine mod looks great!. Is that alternator an Edge product? How many more amps than stock? Valve covers are trick as well. Good looking setup!!
    I'm looking for an aftermarket valve cover solution. Not many choices out there. May end up just painting them one of the colors used on the airplane.
    I discovered the same on my fans - not much air moving. Replaced them with high rpm/volume fans and all is good now. My water connections are fwd of the firewall... looking for a light ball valve and set it up on a push/pull control.

Your work looks fantastic. I really enjoy your detailed pictures.

All the best!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Will you need to modify your engine mount to clear the alternator? I know someone who was considering that alternator who said you would need to cut out the diagonal tube the runs from the top right mount to the lower left mount. I think he discussed it with J. McBean and determined that it could be done. Don't take my word for it though. It might be something to check so you aren't surprised.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Will you need to modify your engine mount to clear the alternator? I know someone who was considering that alternator who said you would need to cut out the diagonal tube the runs from the top right mount to the lower left mount. I think he discussed it with J. McBean and determined that it could be done. Don't take my word for it though. It might be something to check so you aren't surprised.
    Yes, that diagonal brace will need to be removed. Thanks for watching out for us! On a tail tragger no concerns, on a nosesheel setup may want to strenghten it up.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 03-07-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    That Edge engine mod looks great!. Is that alternator an Edge product? How many more amps than stock? Valve covers are trick as well. Good looking setup!!
    I'm looking for an aftermarket valve cover solution. Not many choices out there. May end up just painting them one of the colors used on the airplane.
    I discovered the same on my fans - not much air moving. Replaced them with high rpm/volume fans and all is good now. My water connections are fwd of the firewall... looking for a light ball valve and set it up on a push/pull control.

Your work looks fantastic. I really enjoy your detailed pictures.

All the best!
    Yes the alternator is made by edge. 1300$. Gives you total of 50 amps. Motor mount will need to be modified as Brian pointed out. Years ago I put a heater kit on a rzr that had a valve operated by a push pull lever. Tried to find a part with no luck.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!