Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 46 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Clark thanks for the link. Interesting results. We have the ones that kitfox sells, just trying to see if there is something better so they don't discolor when running mogas.

Jiott we would just connect them using tygon tubing to the brass fittings.

Airlina yeah that would be bad, and that is what we are trying to avoid. Maybe I will give kitfox a call and see. We did find some glass and can make them out of glass but the acrylic seems stronger than the glass, at least when we bent them to test how strong they are the glass shattered pretty quick and the acrylic was bent way over before breaking.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 02-04-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Okay we have some acrylic tubes that we used to make some sight gauges sitting in a mason jar with ethonal 91, sitting in the sun to test how they hold up. But, for now I think we will just go with the stock ones and replace them when they discolor. I am approaching 100 hrs on my engine and its about time to tear it down and check it over. I have decided just to do an annual as I just got my repairman for my plane! The plan right now is I think I am going to trailer it home. I am going to change my exhaust out to the new upgrades exhaust system EP is working on. Should eliminate leaks and flow better. I am also going to change my exhaust to a straight out the back of the cowl like Cory's. Should keep the exhaust from staining the gear leg. I will fill in the hole in the cowl and take it to paint. Many have asked but how I like EP912STI. Is so much fun to fly and love the power. Pins you in the seat on takeoff and climbs like crazy. I had it out for my first off airport landings. I have landed dirt runways before but not the "bush." I am defiantly limited by landing distance. Amazing how a little float eats up landing distance. Now with the VGS I need to come in almost 10mph slower so I need to adjust for that. Loving the AOA as I do best by looking outside and just listening to the AOA beeping. It was a little bumpy so I was carrying a little speed. Landing distances are around 300' and takeoff less than 100'. Going out today and I will measure! ECU has been solid and tune has been spot on. I have had it up to 14500' (higher when I get o2) and down to 3000' and the tune has been spot on. Starts right up every-time hot or cold and idles smooth. Here are a few pictures of my recent adventures. Oh, and I got brave and went flying at night. Things I thought I wouldn't be doing when I got my ATP and starting flying turbines. Single engine, "EXPERIMENTAL", at night.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 02-13-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Good goin’, Dustin - your airplane looks beautiful! I don’t know when those pictures were taken, but it sure looks good to me... we’ve got about a foot of snow around here right now. I’m going to get over to Utah one of these days.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Awesome Dustin! Looks like you're having a blast!

Clark

Got some more flying in today. Getting slower on the approach speed but I feel like I need to come in steeper and slow it up a little more. Fun learning these new skills but defiantly challenging.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Really Nice Dustin. Your brother must be dying to get his done. Flying together is going to make having these planes such a blast for you two.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yeah he is getting close. He needs to finish the turtle deck and then it’s about time to move it to the airport.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hi Dustin, Interested in the tundra lite tailwheel. I was on their web site and they have two sizes for springs listed and two tire sizes. Just wondered what is best for the Kitfox? Your planes are exceptional. Jim
    Starfox

We went with the smaller tire. Smaller to keep your AOA the best for takeoff and landing.....tail the lowest.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Read up on all your progress. Super job. The space behind the instrument panel gets a bit crowded, eh? Lol. Enjoyed your videos a lot.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades